UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Rear of the year

Old 05-23-2012, 03:52 PM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

I thought you and CC were best mates? Or f@#k buddies at least

Trust me the drop top renders the car useless to go anywhere if you do might want to drop the top. It takes 90% of the boot space away when you drop it. Then you can just about get a weekend bag in there as long as it's airline carry-on size. Maybe two side by side at a squash. Certainly not more. Or you can get three maybe four loaded plastic bags in there BUT you have to squash them a bit. Oh and without the click-in wind deflector you get well blown about: but it effectively wipes out the rear seats as seats. Though I suppose sproggo would be safe underneath it ...

The only good things about the drop top is watching it do it's open/close routine as a spectator while the occupants cringe, and being able to hear the exhaust note properly - in fact, that's the only thing I miss. Don't forget too the drop top is marginally slower (heavier) and I found the scuttle shake noticeable with the top down after an S2000.

Practically speaking the drop top is a 2-person touring car like the S but with more room on the back seat for luggage /dogs /sprogs /paraphenalia than ever you could get in an S2000 boot
Old 05-23-2012, 09:49 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

The other good thing about watching the top drop is when you see said owner having to pile 90% of what was in their boot into the back 'seats' after they hear crunching sounds from the boot - I wish i'd caught it on video
Old 05-24-2012, 02:11 AM

UF, fair doos to BMW, the back seats are full function, normal adults no problemo. Unlike some porsh German cars
Old 05-24-2012, 03:49 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

nina told me in no uncertain terms i can have a porsche but the S goes and i need to sort out the vectra replacement. balls to that

nowhere near buying the 'it has 4 seats' line
Old 05-24-2012, 04:18 AM

Notts, tell her from me she already scuppered the M3 drop top possibility (assuming she is a moderm mum with all the baby gear) by sprogging. But most suburban bus operators give special attention to mums with babies, even if she doesn't yet qualify for a bus pass

Seriously I think you have conflicting requirements. Maybe you could get her keen on one of these?

£4.4k from http://www.automotex.co.uk/. Ok I chose the colour to take the p*ss but that car would only cost the M3 drop top extra. Six years old, just over 6,000 miles a year on the clock. Cute and the odd parking ding wouldn't matter (although to be fair using those 'with child' parking spaces does tend to cut down on the them, I know ...) An artist friend has one of these and it is dead reliable, nippy and the boot with the top down isn't so bad.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:18 AM

i've tried to reply to this twice but little sproggo has intervened on both occassions.

she has a Gold GTD thing which she loves and access (albeit reluctantly) to the S which she likes in nice weather but cant take sproggo in. no more cars thankyou! I'm going to go off and drive the DCT vs Manual and make a decision i think. i like white (i'm a monochrome guy aside from the red on my bike) and black, silver is a possibility for the right car

any must have options? i think the tints on the rear windows will suit sproggo, DAB would suit me (5 live fart).. 18s are like hens teeth!
Old 05-24-2012, 01:07 PM

You get used to the parking sensors both ends - I can't see the corners. Plus the thing that slides the seat belt forward so it's easier to reach. I know it sounds pathetic but the two doors are wide and hence the seat belt anchorage is a bit far back to grab for us oldies but you young'uns probly no issue (Even more pathetic, it took me months to figure it is activated by door closing - I thought for months 'oh, not got this option' then I noticed it on the passenger side - my door, I used to close after belting up ) I already mentioned the iDrive/satnav level and that the bog standard audio is shyte. DAB came in after mine, which is June 2009. All cars are on their database so even if you go for a private car, the dealers will be able to tell you the options fitted if you go in and ask them nicely. Approach obliquely, ask about an Approved Used Car (BMW AUC) in their stock then act disappointed and say "well this one reg no YE59ABC is for sale privately at £5k cheaper and it's got much better options and only 50 miles on the clock"

I see the point about number of cars. But the E93 folding was not a good experience and simply won't work with sproggo (or in my case doggo) in the back, as the back draught in the front seats with the roof down is so bad. Plus all that was said about the boot space. A test drive 'en famille' on a sunny day will make the points. Only - for Unclefester's benefit - the roof has sensors and won't crush the pushchair you forgot was in the boot. Once you have moved it to the car, and blasted off roof down, a burst of >50mph speed will make the point about the wind deflector, which normally sits in a bag folded up in the boot - "oh I'll just put the wind deflector up" - which will cover sproggo on the back seat nicely
Old 05-24-2012, 01:36 PM

In one of the prev attempts (which never made it) i ruled out the drop top. cost, practicality and compromise on the drive.. Thanks or the info, very useful!
It was probably daft anyway as its replacing the rather (very) tired vectra which is ultra utalitariun. Without the 50mpg <cough>..

Might go for a test drive tomorrow as a start
Old 05-24-2012, 01:54 PM

Have a look at their "build your BMW" web site and configure a new one. They have pop-up descriptions and in most cases pics of the options. Let us know how you get on with it such as the DCT. Also maybe see what MB thinks, he is a fanboi but a bit of a track queen
Old 05-25-2012, 06:47 AM

I'll give it a go. Drove a 335i with DCT today. I was impressed, love the box tbh. Coupe gets the nod as saloons dont often have the folding seats apparently.

Now need to drive an M3 dct

Quick Reply: Rear of the year