UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Rear window plastic.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear window plastic.

Does anyone know of a suitable source to buy some plastic to replace my rear window? I want something similar to the original window that can withstand regular folding. I assume contact adhesive should be suitable for sticking it in once I have cut the old one out. I have tried searching but most people seam to buy replacement windows but I would rather make my own due to cost.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TBH I think you are going to struggle on two counts:

1) I doubt you will find suitable plastic that is flexible, easliy bonded to vinyl and UV stable.
2) The plastic screen is heat bonded into a vinyl panel that is zipped in to the hood, just gluing in a new plastic piece is not going to last long.

The two cheapest options you have are get a hood company to replace just the screen or fit a used later glass screen hood.
FWIW I'd buy a new aftermarket hood.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:53 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey k,Oct 6 2009, 10:47 AM
1) I doubt you will find suitable plastic that is flexible, easliy bonded to vinyl and UV stable.
2) The plastic screen is heat bonded into a vinyl panel that is zipped in to the hood, just gluing in a new plastic piece is not going to last long.

The replacement plastic window costs around £50 from a dealer but it would cost around another £400 to get it installed as half of the roof has to be removed to do it properly (I had one replaced under warranty a *long* time ago)

You are better off replacing the whole roof with a replacement that has a glass window for not that much more.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:40 AM

On a friends Renault 19 convertible many years ago we replaced the rear window with plastic but cutting the old one out and then gluing in a plastic one in underneath. It didn’t look perfect but functioned quite well and only cost about £10. So I am going to try something similar as my window is now cracked and not very water tight with tape on it. After my wedding (in 3 weeks) when I have more spare cash I may well later replace the whole roof.
In the mean time the plan is cut out the old window then glue on a bit of 1mm flexible clear PVC, over the top. 3 edges are hidden by the hood anyway and the bottom edge I will cover in black vinyl to tidy up. I am thinking contact adhesive to stick it but might try liquid cement or other glues. I am sure it will not look perfect but hope it will not look too bad and should be water proof and easier to see through than it currently is.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:57 AM

Sounds like a good plan.
If it's buggered anyway it's not like you're going to make it any worse.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:02 AM

Someone on here used a place in Preston years back that effectively cut the old plastic out and bonded a new piece in for a good price. BUT... that's all I can tell you - it was probably 4 years or so back.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Rob88,Oct 6 2009, 05:57 PM
Sounds like a good plan.
If it's buggered anyway it's not like you're going to make it any worse.

Nothing to lose giving it a try in the short term!
Old 10-06-2009, 10:35 AM

http://www.tarpaulins-togo.co.uk/category-...Tarpaulins.html

Cut the middle out of one of these and you'll have enough for years.

Although on a serious note, it's bound to be weatherproof and suitable for folding.....
Old 10-06-2009, 12:57 PM
J_D

Let us see the end result mikey, Id like to do something similar until I can afford a glass replacment, I cant see much out of mine now
Old 10-07-2009, 02:17 AM

I've been thinking about this and looking at my window.

Assuming it's a bit of a do-or-die mission, you could take a stanley knife to the currenct screen and cut it clean out, including into the seams where it's heat bonded leaving a channel where you cut it out.

Cut some new material to size, fill the channel with silicon sealant and push the new panel in.

For the new window, try a wreckers yard and look for any other convertible with a plastic window and just rip it out and cut to size.

Quick Reply: Rear window plastic.