UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Rear Wheel arch Liners

Old 03-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Spammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Growler
Having looked at a few S2k i noticed the early ones seem to be prone to rust around the wheel arch liners. Given these are similar in design to the door edge strips you can buy that also cause rust what is the consensus of opinion re theses things.

It had been suggested to me by a bodyshop that I remove the liners clean up the arches, paint anyd scratches and chips and then carefully reapply the liners and seal them on with a small amount of clear silicone all the way around. They said that the biggest problem with the liners is fine gravel/ road salt getting behind these and scratching through the paint with vibration... Obviously this then leads to rust through time.

I quite like the idea of cleaning them up and either getting new liners or re using old ones and sealing the edges with silicone to prevent dirt ingress?

Anyone done this or got any alternative solutions?
Don't know whether you have been following my project on the S2KI site. I have produced a Rapid Prototype of a rear fender liner system and will shorrly be putting them into production and will run a Group Buy if you are interested. Have a look at BB's recent post where I have posted photos of the Form and Fit tests of the prototypes, or go to the S2000 Talk or Modification and Parts Boards where the whole story is posted under RearLinerSystem. When I get my copies of the final product I will be doing just as you suggested - I will remove the Wheel Arch Trim and clean everything inside and then reinstall the Arch Trim (which buts up against my liner) and then run a generous bead of black rubber siicone all along the top edge of the trim on the inside to completely seal that edge from moisture and dirt. I was looking recently at this area on a Ferrari and this area is completly filled and smoothed to the inside surfaces of the wheel well so that water has no flat surface on which to sit up there. If it can sit it won't rust is my theory (I realize that the Ferrari body is CRP and can't rust in any event but I thought it interesting that THEY went to the trouble to fill this area - more for strength than anything else I imagine - but it certainly got me thinking). Cheers
Old 03-31-2011, 05:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my bubbling rear near side arch repaired at christmas. Took a while as the guy made me a new wheel arch.
He ripped off the liners and threw them away as he said they cause more problems than prevent them. Once the repair was finished he coated both wheel arch edges with a black rubberised paint so it looks almost the same.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:35 AM
Spammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After careful consideration I have decided that I am going to run a “Group Buy” for my RearLinerSystem for AP2 owners. I am terribly sorry AP1 owners but I have just recently received drawings of the fender profile for the AP1 bumper from an owner who owns both and it appears that my design, modelled on my AP2 bumper, will not interface with the AP1 bumper profile in the bottom skirt area (the bumper is shorter than the AP2 and the skirt more truncated than on the AP2 which I did not know till now), so this will not mount properly in the fashion I had intended. If you want to try and modify the Liner, be my guest but I think it will only lead to frustration at what should have been. So in all honesty and with considerable regret and disappointment I can no longer, in good conscience, recommend this mod to AP1 owners. Of course, if you have already, or are in the throes of changing out your AP1 rear bumper for an AP2 (as a number appear to be doing), then I would love to continue to hear from you, if you are still interested.

I have posted the Group Buy details as a new thread under the Parts and Modifications Forum as that seemed to be the most relevant place to put it. Again my heartfelt apologies to AP1 owners who expressed interest in this venture - believe me I am as (or more) frustrated by this than you. Thank you for your interest.