UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Rear Speaker Selection

Old 01-19-2002, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Speaker Selection

Just a quick question about the lucid rear speaker setup. I am thinking of getting the Lanzer Neo speakers pre-fitted into their panels. Has anyone bought these speakers?/recommend any particular set of rears???
Much appreciated.
Old 01-19-2002, 03:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've the Lanzer Neo's 4.1, bought from Lucid with panels, and harness. These are a very good match to my fronts - which are the Honda UK Upgrade option. (3 way Pioneer's). I love the sound - fills the cabin very well, and is crisp and clear. I'm not a bassy music fan, so i can't comment on that side. I think it's best to try get similar speakers front to rear if you can. I don't need any front to rear bias to get the sound exactly who I like it.

My Lanzar's Neo 4.1's were a quite cheap option -
Old 01-19-2002, 08:44 AM

And they look pretty good into the bargain

I know IanL and myself are running components (Polk and Infinity Kappa respectively). Both sound great but are a harder task to fit as you need to accomodate the crossover box etc.

I'd go with whatever Lucid recomends, he pioneered this so he knows what its all about
Old 01-19-2002, 11:52 AM

I would recommend Alpines all round - over the moon with my set up, details below of models used

Anthony
Old 01-19-2002, 02:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can't comment on how the Lanzers sound but have some observations about rear speakers.

I did my own rear speaker mod. I first looked into this when I had to remove the RH panel to route power and phonos to the amp for my subwoofer. I noticed the space and thought I could get small speakers to fit in there. I wanted to fit Infinity Kappa 42i speakers but didn't think they would fit. (Have since seen the 4" Infinity components fit!)

The speakers I chose in the end, were Kenwood PSR400s. They use dual Neodymium magnets, are very light and have 44mm mounting depth. At its greatest depth the magnet body is just 50mm diam. This makes for a very easy install (the hole in the panel isn't too critical).
The resulting rear speaker sound will not win any awards for bass, but if your objective is to add mid/treble volume for top down motoring, or to avoid the knee effect, then the PSR400s do the job just fine. If you drive them with too much bass though (through use of LOUD processing) they will distort quite badly.

Without my sub woofer on, and all controls set flat, I get plenty of bass from my door speakers (Infinity Kappa 62.1i) but vitually none from the PSR400s. At speed with the top down (and with no sub) you might want bassier rear speakers as the bass from the front starts to get lost. If you have a sub, then this is not a concern.

Lucid's panels and 5.25" speakers look to be a good choice - especially as you know they'll fit! This is the way I would go if I had no sub woofer, provided they really do have some appreciable bass.

I am very pleased with the improvement that the rear speakers have made. I was happy with my system before, provided the roof was up (I hardly ever drive around with the roof up though). Now it sounds good with the roof down without having to have the volume on full.

Good luck.