UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

rear end twitch

Old 01-22-2011, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say maybe your ARB, can you take it off and look it over? or change it? sure an OEM one cant be that expensive or borrow one from someone and compare the two?
Old 01-22-2011, 01:50 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

That tyre ware looks very even, a bit more camber may help, worth a try for a quick check, a geo shop won't charge much for a single adjustment.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Guzzie,Jan 22 2011, 10:37 AM
I would say maybe your ARB, can you take it off and look it over? or change it? sure an OEM one cant be that expensive or borrow one from someone and compare the two?
An ARB is not something that's going to degrade (unless it snaps), and would affect both sides.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:42 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by veehexx,Jan 22 2011, 09:31 AM
car has had rear damage, atleast twice on the osr. once myself (very little tap, body work only). not sure about the time before..

tyres are around 3mm (rear) and perfect wear.
It could be anything, then.

Bent suspension arm, 04 arm on earlier car, misaligned shell.

You'd need to investigate all of those.

It's often hard to locate.

Mind you, they tend to twitch camberwards on wet ironwork anyway, so actually Dembo may be right!
Old 01-22-2011, 04:03 AM

Could it be a sticking rear brake calliper??

maybe intermittent ??

after a run see if any of the back wheels are hot
Old 01-22-2011, 04:12 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

What? sticks every time it his wet ironwork?

Highly unlikely.

It's more likely the prang has made it hyper-sensitive to settings - mine settings usually drift out the same way each time due to the awful roads & I bet so does Veehexx's

Actually, a quicker fix might be to try setting it with a tad more rear toe-in & see if that helps. Or a tad more camber...
Old 01-22-2011, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Dembo,Jan 22 2011, 11:22 AM
An ARB is not something that's going to degrade (unless it snaps), and would affect both sides.
What about if it is bent
Old 01-22-2011, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Graves,Jan 22 2011, 01:12 PM
Actually, a quicker fix might be to try setting it with a tad more rear toe-in & see if that helps. Or a tad more camber...
i've been thinking about toe settings...
if the car is currently setup with too much toe in, on a normal grippy road, the car would 'hunch' up. come lesser grip the car would settle more naturally and 'relax' in the form of the left-wards twitch.
although I can see any argument favouring toe-out as that's the most logical...

any geo settings will be very minor (i know it only takes a bit), as there's nothing obviously wrong looking at the wheel.

as for the very even wear on the tyre, I'm not surprised

a bit more googling, people suggest (an alfa forum) bushes could be worn. I'll be physically removing them tomorrow and take a proper look at the bushes rather than inspection on the car. roll bar drop links also something I'll look at - a quick visual check says everything is in order though.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:27 AM

Veehexx,
My MY2000 JDM spec shows exactly the same behaviour, so you are not alone. I have had it about 6 months and the "twitch" has got worse - always the same way. It is fitted with Bilsteins and lowered so much that the wheels disappear into the arches - I thought it was standard until I found this forum. I had the geometry checked by my local tyre shop, every wheel was out of spec but they advised it would be a waste of money to adjust it until the ride height was returned to standard. My daily car, a Signum, showed the same twitch until I had the geometry reset twice.
I am now thinking of taking up the Gaz shocks offer (which expired in November!) and selling the Bilsteins on Ebay even though the Gaz still reduce the ride height by a minimum of 25mm. The difference in price to Honda OEM shocks is ridiculous. Judging by the different spring specs for each model year, Honda don't seem to have done their usual efficient development job.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by GTcarnut,Jan 23 2011, 09:27 AM
It is fitted with Bilsteins and lowered so much that the wheels disappear into the arches - I thought it was standard until I found this forum. I had the geometry checked by my local tyre shop, every wheel was out of spec but they advised it would be a waste of money to adjust it until the ride height was returned to standard.
Why don't you adjust the Bilsteins to lower it less? And also, take it to somebody who knows what they're talking about.

Quick Reply: rear end twitch