UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

rear end twitch

Old 01-21-2011, 04:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rear end twitch

here's the story:

ever since i bought my S, the nsr wheel hasn't been right. it bangs over rough ground and when it goes over ice/wet manhole, the car twitches to the left.

so, as we'd all agree, the car is in need for a full alignment. booked it in, fixed the issue but only for a few weeks/month. after that the car goes back to it's twitching behaviour.

a few years later, and 3 geo alignments later the issue still isnt fixed. CG was the latest one to have a go, and iirc, I specifically mentioned this to him... i'm currently waiting to get a few personal things out of the way before getting it back to him.

about 9 months ago, the driveshaft started vibrating (nsr again), replaced with a garageR unit thats that issue fixed.

over the last few months, theres a squeak from the nsr of the car, and with the roof up&windows up, a noise can be heard that i'd decribe as a hole in the roof; a sort of windy airy noise (although could be considered a scoring noise).
1x wheel bearing ordered and this weekend is fitment.

i currently have the hub off, and the nsr in peices. while this corner is being worked on, i thought i'd take a look at what the issue could be (in reguard to the twitching).
i've found nothing that could be 'pulling' the geo out on that corner, as all bolts are free (primarily the 2x adjustable ones; camber and toe), and ball joints seem fine.

thats 3 geometry shops that have taken a look and myself and can not find anything untoward on that corner.

the car has done 94k. wheel bearing has only become obviously faulty over the last few weeks. I've owned the car just over 3years now.
im starting to wonder about it being the diff... it seems a bit viscous pulling out of side roads, and it seems to tighten up on tight carpark corners. this is something i am keeping an eye on..
could the diff cause the power to be 'unwinding' on the nsr tyre and when that tyre meets something that will reduce it's traction, that corner spins slightly and shows itself as a twitch?

any thoughts/suggestions appreciated - I'd love to get it fixed!
Old 01-21-2011, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are the dampers and springs?
Old 01-21-2011, 04:49 AM

replaced them at around 84k, with garageR used ones (30-40k on them).
full unit - so spring was included aswell.

i only did the rear 2, as at that 84k mark, they were showing signs of weeping.
actually, this was done at the same time as the driveshafts; i knew shocks were weaping so i changed to thinking thats the cause of the vibration. vibration still there, so driveshaft swapped aswell which fixed it.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:27 AM

Has the diff oil been changed at all?
Old 01-21-2011, 05:32 AM

once, maybe twice in the 3 years i've owned it...

only being used to open diff HGV stuff, the oil didnt look too bad as it drained out the s2000. nothing that made me say "OMG".

no noticable change in how the diff reacted.

biggest problem is not having owned a RWD and/or LSD diff i dont know what they act like. im guessing it's normal, as on tight turns there is enough speed difference for the diff to lockup.
not to get people confused, the tight corner thing with the diff isnt the issue; it's the slight kick to the left that the car does over low-traction surface.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:51 AM

I think it's you.

Was the issue definitely fixed for a few weeks after each geo? That's weird, although it may just be you getting used to the new settings. It could also be the tyres getting used to the new settings.

Whilstling / squeaking could be brake related.

Does it always twitch to the left? If that wheel hits a bump on a left hand bend, does it twitch to the right?
Old 01-21-2011, 06:15 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

Mine always gets worse on worn tyres. Twitches will tend to be to the left due to road camber, and also if you like roundabouts, the left rear will tend to wear quicker than the right, making the twitch worse to the left. Get the geo done on almost new tyres and it should be ok.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:48 AM

stab in the dark here, has the car ever been hit on either side to damage the suspension and arms? ie a previous owner spun it and damaged something changing most suspension bits apart from say an ARB? Tyres both have even wear?
Old 01-22-2011, 12:31 AM

car has had rear damage, atleast twice on the osr. once myself (very little tap, body work only). not sure about the time before..

tyres are around 3mm (rear) and perfect wear.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dembo,Jan 21 2011, 02:51 PM
I think it's you.

Was the issue definitely fixed for a few weeks after each geo? That's weird, although it may just be you getting used to the new settings. It could also be the tyres getting used to the new settings.

Whilstling / squeaking could be brake related.

Does it always twitch to the left? If that wheel hits a bump on a left hand bend, does it twitch to the right?
noticeable improvement with the car when geo is done.

brakes were done about 6months ago, full disc&pads. nsr caliper seem fine both then and now..

always to the left. and only when that nsr wheel goes over something it doesnt like.

tyre wear on nsr wheel here

Quick Reply: rear end twitch