UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Rear End too Soft - Advice Needed

Old 06-13-2012, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/813...eer-kit-offer/

These are one option - many more for dialling out rear wheel steer.

I have poly bushes on mine which dont seem to have made much difference but I also had alignment done at the same time, personally I like it and a mates 2001 model on standard suspension doesnt seem to do it as much as mine, so maybe alignment is part of it.

I would get it checked first, it could be as simple as a broken drop link which would mean the rear ARB is disconnected.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Si2k
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/813...eer-kit-offer/
I would get it checked first, it could be as simple as a broken drop link which would mean the rear ARB is disconnected.
Thanks. I'll get it up on axle stands and have a good look.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With the exception of something being broken, geo and the other mods like braces and ARB's all make a difference to the handling and the feel/feedback, and I'd recommend them to anyone, but they only make a very small difference to the 'soft rear end', referred to by the OP; in my experience of trying to cure the same problem, only changing the standard springs and dampers cured that..........
Old 06-13-2012, 01:05 AM

Might be better saving up for a set of coilovers, after doing a bit of reading it would seem the PSS9's or KW3 can be fairly complaint on the road.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:10 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by SCZ4
Might be better saving up for a set of coilovers, after doing a bit of reading it would seem the PSS9's or KW3 can be fairly complaint on the road.
I love my PSS9s, but once you've tried a geo and other cheap/free things, also have a look at the PSS (non adjustables) as they are superb and a fair bit cheaper.

Have a read of this thread for more on them. https://www.s2ki.com/...zys-suspension/
Old 06-13-2012, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
I love my PSS9s, but once you've tried a geo and other cheap/free things, also have a look at the PSS (non adjustables) as they are superb and a fair bit cheaper.

Have a read of this thread for more on them. https://www.s2ki.com/...zys-suspension/
Thanks for the link. A plug and play solution sounds great to me. The PSS kit sounds ideal for my use, fast road and perhaps the odd track day for about £950. Something to think about over the winter.

If there are any interim cheap fixes I'd be interested.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:44 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by lovegroova' timestamp='1339578652' post='21777534

Thanks for the link. A plug and play solution sounds great to me. The PSS kit sounds ideal for my use, fast road and perhaps the odd track day for about £950. Something to think about over the winter.

If there are any interim cheap fixes I'd be interested.
No problem. Depending on your location, I'm sure there will be people happy to take you out in their cars (or perhaps have a drive).

But get the geo sorted first of all, it usually makes the car a lot nicer to drive.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
No problem. Depending on your location, I'm sure there will be people happy to take you out in their cars (or perhaps have a drive).

But get the geo sorted first of all, it usually makes the car a lot nicer to drive.
I'm up in Aberdeen so unlikely do be able to find someone

Meantime, I'll get the car booked in and get it reset to factory geometry for now. Not convinced it'll help with the soft rear end though.

With regards to the B14 PSS kit, some website quote 30-50mm lowering and others 10-35mm, I have to say a 20-25mm drop would be perfect for my requirements.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:01 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by lovegroova' timestamp='1339580674' post='21777557

I'm up in Aberdeen so unlikely do be able to find someone

Meantime, I'll get the car booked in and get it reset to factory geometry for now. Not convinced it'll help with the soft rear end though.

With regards to the B14 PSS kit, some website quote 30-50mm lowering and others 10-35mm, I have to say a 20-25mm drop would be perfect for my requirements.
Ah, Aberdeen, there are a few folk up there, not sure how many have Bilsteins though

It's 10-35mm.

Here's the front of mine (I had mine set to the maximum recommended height per the manual):

Old 06-13-2012, 02:01 AM

Scratch that, Bilstein website confirms 10-35mm for the S2000, but the general flyer they have for the B14 product says 30-50mm, I guess most online places are using this for reference.

Quick Reply: Rear End too Soft - Advice Needed