UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

rear end slop.

Old 09-06-2004, 04:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end slop.

When i corner in mine hard'ish it turns in and its fine.. then as i push the back seems to slop or move, almost like it going onto the sidewalls, it then regains all composure and carries on.. Its almost like it takes a mo to settle in the corner.

Anyone know what this is?? and right tyres and right pressures and fully lazer aligned. and the rear links all seem fine.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:12 AM

It's just the S. Mine does this two almost, like it slips or pauses and has a think then gets going again. Obvious things are the tyre pressures, but just a characteristic.

G
Old 09-06-2004, 04:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it an LSD thing? I have no idea, I just recall someone posting about the back end seeming to give a similar sensation and MarkB explaining something about the LSD
Old 09-06-2004, 04:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO Sounds like the LSD getting to grips (like the pun?) with the change in traction and power. Obviously more noticeable of you are corner as you are "leaning" on one tyre more!?
Old 09-06-2004, 04:50 AM

ahh.. might be the LSD moving tourque around.. its a little un-nerving at first, but after the slop it tends to be 'in the curve' and just sticks.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:53 AM
Ryn

Yeah sounds like the LSD to me, agreed it is a little unnerving if you are not used to it.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:16 AM

I get the same sensation, reckon it's partly the tire loading up and producing a squidging effect. Could be the slip angle. (but I have no mechanical knowledge whatsoever, not a scooby,none).

Whatever it is I don't think it is someting wrong with your car and like others have said a charchter of the S, which I think is a great sensation when you get used to it as you can really play with it.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:35 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I assume we're talking about higher cornering speeds and the car's passive rear wheel steering?

It is about using the throttle to adjust the line of the car through the corner.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:34 AM

Nick, you're confsing me now. Passive rear wheel steering??
And how do you steer by the throttle? (I might already do that but don't realise)
Old 09-06-2004, 09:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure either what Nick means by passive rear wheel steering, but I do agree with his comment about balancing the car on the throttle.

Having owned a Chimaera, in which throttle control through corners was essential, I had to learn to "balance" the car using both steering and throttle inputs. The S handles very differently from the TVR, but the principle is the same. It just takes some practice to get it right.

I too thought there was something going on at the rear during my first outings when the car almost bunny hopped round corners (particularly noticeable when haring round roundabouts) but I reckon I've nearly got it taped now and with better throttle control, the car near enough corners on rails.

Quick Reply: rear end slop.