UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Rear camber/geometry

Old 11-23-2013, 09:40 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Rear camber/geometry

Bit fed up and tired of the shonky handling of my S2K... I'd even go as far as to say the old astra was a better handling car than the S2K and that's saying something.

It's spun out on me a few times now at quite low speeds. It's very tail happy.

Not long had some part worns continental contisport contact 5's put on, All even tread 7mm across both tyres, same index ratings etc.

Here are my current geometry settings, front ends fine for grip really. As per all S2K's my bolts are seized... so need to know what I need to renew to be able to adjust the rear. I'll sort the fronts out at a later date...

Would upload a pic, but usual websites gone down...

REAR
LEFT:- Camber -2.53 Toe +0.24
RIGHT:- Camber -2.41 Toe +0.13

FRONTS
LEFT:- Camber -0.43 Caster 6.56 Toe 0.00
RIGHT:- Camber -0.39 Caster 6.53 Toe 0.00

Obviously the only thing adjustable was the front Toe ( big thanks to Ray )

Any help would be massively appreciated.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need less rear camber and more front. 1.5 front and 2 rear is a good start. Also even toe each side will help although this isn't really the weather to test the handling of an S2000.

Oh and why are you putting part worns on? :S
Old 11-23-2013, 10:06 AM

Ah sound, I'd like some sort of setup where it will be a bit more neutral and predictable, rather than grip grip grip then let go.

I'll be brutally honest, I'm a tight fisted cnut, plus with future events that are out of my control mean I really have to watch my money at the moment mate.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:08 AM
BCA

Am I reading it right that you've got toe out on both rears? If so, that'll make it 'nervous' handling.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:12 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Toms1989
Ah sound, I'd like some sort of setup where it will be a bit more neutral and predictable, rather than grip grip grip then let go.

I'll be brutally honest, I'm a tight fisted cnut, plus with future events that are out of my control mean I really have to watch my money at the moment mate.
You need to get the rear toe adjusted/make it adjustable.

A lot of toe in gives you that grip, grip, grip and then let go thing.

Are those measurements degrees and minutes or decimal degrees or mm or inches?

Are you using OEM suspension?

A little less front caster may help as it'll slow the steering down which'll help you keep better control of the car.

I wouldn't run as much camber as Si suggests. A max of 1 deg at the front and 2 at the rear is fine for road use.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:18 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by BCA
Am I reading it right that you've got toe out on both rears? If so, that'll make it 'nervous' handling.
+ is toe in
Old 11-23-2013, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by Toms1989' timestamp='1385233610' post='22891456

You need to get the rear toe adjusted/make it adjustable.

A lot of toe in gives you that grip, grip, grip and then let go thing.

Are those measurements degrees and minutes or decimal degrees or mm or inches?

Are you using OEM suspension?

A little less front caster may help as it'll slow the steering down which'll help you keep better control of the car.

I wouldn't run as much camber as Si suggests. A max of 1 deg at the front and 2 at the rear is fine for road use.
Right o, so I need rear adjustable toe arms? or is there a bit more to it than that?

I THINK they're in degrees, Daytona Dave / Ray done them.

I am running standard shocks on Eibach Pro springs

Never understood caster, that makes sense, the steering is very twitchy and sensitive, quite unpredictable at times
Old 11-23-2013, 10:28 AM
BCA

Ah good! Probably a slightly numb set up currently mixed with cold temps and unknown tyres (how were they stored?/how old etc etc). It's pretty slippy out there right now as it is!
Old 11-23-2013, 10:28 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Toms1989
Right o, so I need rear adjustable toe arms? or is there a bit more to it than that?

Never understood caster, that makes sense, the steering is very twitchy and sensitive, quite unpredictable at times
Ask Ron/Ray about what you need to change to fix this - basically bushes I think.

Stiffer springs will make the car more tail happy (if they are indeed stiffer, that is). What rates are they front and rear?

For caster, think about a chopper motorcycle, the forks are at a very "flat" angle, making the front wheel along way away. That's what a lot of caster is.
A sportsbike has a lot less caster as the forks are closer to vertical.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by Toms1989' timestamp='1385234635' post='22891482

Ask Ron/Ray about what you need to change to fix this - basically bushes I think.

Stiffer springs will make the car more tail happy (if they are indeed stiffer, that is). What rates are they front and rear?

For caster, think about a chopper motorcycle, the forks are at a very "flat" angle, making the front wheel along way away. That's what a lot of caster is.
A sportsbike has a lot less caster as the forks are closer to vertical.
Sound thanks for that

As for the springs fella, I'll have to get some numbers off them, as they were already fitted to my car when I bought it.

BCA, I'll also have to get the Date code of them to find out for sure.

Quick Reply: Rear camber/geometry