UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

RE050's in the Very Wet

Old 02-01-2004, 11:56 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

90% down to the driver anyway.

Drive sensibly in the wet and you won't fall off the road if you are driving on four grotty remoulds.

As for losing it in the dry, you are clearly driving at lunatic speeds on a public road.

There are exceptions, but not many.

Pride is a powerful emotion. Male pride is esp so.

Old 02-02-2004, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't see how anyone can 'lose' the S2000 in the dry unless they are really trying to??....beyond me to be honest

at my last track day I was actively doing all I could to lose the car (to help my understanding of the car) and ultimately had to be very hamfisted to achieve a spin
Old 02-02-2004, 12:33 AM
GSi

I think you could relatively easily lose any car in the dry if you aren't reading the road conditions (i.e driving too fast)

for example, nice fast dry open road, around a corner near the limit of grip when there is a dip and a bump = loss of traction at high speed = backwards through a hedge on most of our roads which are not very wide at all

I think on a track (in general) you would have more space to play with and have room to be more than a little sideways before stepping off of the tarmac.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:14 AM

This is what I found on the web not quite a review as marketing stuff from Bridgestone but an interesting read.

The Potenza RE050 is an Ultra High Performance Summer tire designed to complement the performance of sports cars, sports coupes and sport sedans. While the Potenza RE050 is used as Original Equipment on the supercharged Mercedes-Benz S55 AMG sedan, a Potenza RE050 Scuderia version is used on the 12-cylinder Enzo Ferrari supercar, and a Run Flat version is used on the BMW Z4 sports cars and 5-Series sedans. The Potenza RE050 was developed to provide good traction along with responsive and predictable dry and wet road handling. It is not intended to be driven in the snow.

On the outside, the Potenza RE050 features a high grip tread compound molded into a directional tread design. A continuous center rib, large tread blocks and stable shoulder elements provide responsive handling, high-speed stability and traction on dry roads, while circumferential and lateral tread grooves are aimed to pump water out from under the tire's footprint to minimize hydroplaning and aid wet traction. Internally, the Potenza RE050 features twin steel belts reinforced by spiral wrapped nylon to stabilize the tread area and enhance handling, high-speed capability and ride quality while minimizing weight. The fabric cord body and hard rubber sidewall filler help blend uniform ride quality with steering response and lateral stability.

Bridgestone Potenza RE050 tires feature black sidewall styling with subtle black letters. They are V-, Z, W- and Y-speed rated depending upon their application and available in selected 50-, 45-, 40- and 35-series sizes for 16" through 19" wheel diameters.

Plus it uses their :

"The Bridgestone Potenza RE050 features our exclusive UNI-T
Old 02-02-2004, 02:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I read all that. Was interesting, I learned quite a bit but wondered just how much of it was marketing blurb.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:20 AM

As per my first sentence of the last post. I agree but helpful to a certain extent.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:19 AM
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cheshire_carper
Old 02-02-2004, 09:28 AM

Did I say I was joking? I wasn`t....I was TOTALLY serious. If people can`t handle justified critique, then best advice is don`t post.

(Last lower brace I fetch for you in my work time...........)

Only joking.....
Old 02-02-2004, 09:31 AM

CC: I am not judging anyone here but sometimes posts by members can be read in the wrong context and misundertood. It is the same with emails. Maybe you were just messing, maybe you were serious but someitmes one of us has to back off. That decision is yours to make.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:37 AM

Back off? Back off from what? I wasn`t joking!

As said above, I was serious.

I advise the thread gets back onto pluses and minuses of RE050s.

Quick Reply: RE050's in the Very Wet