UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Re-sleeve, 2nd hand engine or short block?

Old 08-15-2008, 02:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re-sleeve, 2nd hand engine or short block?

As a few guys on the UK forum know, for the last 10 months I've been sourcing parts for my car as I got struck by the dreaded scratched #4 cylinder. So far I've got CP pistons, Eagle rods, along with all rings and bearings (thrust, main etc). I also got the updated oil bolts from a member of the forum. I have everything ready to be installed including a new ACT clutch and fidanza flywheel.

My only problem is, the block is with a company in Spain who re-sleeve blocks for trucks, cars etc all the time......its what they specialize in, but they've never seen the Darton sleeves before and are stalling on boring out the block and installing them. Its been going on for 3 months now and they're the only reputable place close by.

I've been rethinking my plan and have come up with 3 options:
1- carry on trying to provide as much info as possible so they can do the job (personally I think they should do the research as its going to cost circa 1200euros just for the resleeve job)

2- buy a 2nd hand engine from a UK breaker as its so hard to find one in Spain (let alone Gibraltar).

3- buy a 2nd hand short block and just transplant all the new spares in and sell the sleeves off. again the block would more than likely come from the UK.

With options 2-3 I could actually fly over and see the block first after emails with pics back and forth. Could'nt exactly fly over just to inspect every other block that comes up. I'm at my wits end with this problem and now to make matters worse, I sold my CBR600F and bought a gixxer750 and 3 weeks later crashed on my way upto the place thats supposed to re-sleeve the block! Worse still, was'nt my fault...talk about adding insult to injury!

Any ideas would be welcome.

thanks
Andrew
Old 08-15-2008, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've gone to a lot of trouble and I dare say expense so far, but if it were me, I wouldn't bother with the re-sleeving. Breakers yards for a short motor/replacement engine are not an unreasonable way to go. Admittedly, you won't know the history to the engine, but unless you could get a cast iron guarantee on the work the Spaniards may do on the block, why take the risk? This engine does have some extreme characteristics for a road car and if your guys aren't confident ...
Old 08-16-2008, 12:23 AM

if you can take a second hand block from UK to Spain why not take your block to UK and get it done there, try talking to Richard at TTS i am sure i saw a civic engine with new sleeves and fancy sleeve supports in the workshop last time i visited, i would think a lot of bike tunning shops would have the experiance you are looking for.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or you could buy my block

Old 08-16-2008, 08:05 AM

oxhouser:
if you can take a second hand block from UK to Spain why not take your block to UK and get it done there
only problem with the above is the expense. By the time I've shipped it to UK, had the work done and then have it shipped back I reckon I could be looking at big bucks although I won't dismiss the idea without checking out prices first. oxhouse, would you have a link for TTS or any contact details at all pls?

pie n chips, what happened with your block? is it an older one and you replaced it or has it been rebuilt, damaged etc?
Old 08-16-2008, 08:26 AM

talk to horsepower on this site, thats Richard
Old 08-16-2008, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by oxhouser,Aug 16 2008, 05:26 PM
ok, found his handle, will pm him later tonight. thanks for that.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by oxhouser,Aug 16 2008, 05:26 PM
well what can I say........last night I received a pm from Richard (horsepower) regarding re-sleeving the block. Will keep you guys posted on what happens but have to say he's definitely looking good in the customer services stakes already.