UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Rattling roof UPDATE

Old 02-12-2004, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling roof UPDATE

I posted recently about my roof rattling when up and mentioned that my car was going in to get the Shin Etsu grease applied. Well, it has happened and the rattle is still there I am going to take a look and see if anything is loose, but I am fairly sure that it won't correct it.

I know that they did apply the grease to my roof as the windows no do not squeak when going up and down, and the odd other roof rattle has gone, but the main loud rattle remains. My car is going in for a service in 2500 miles (month or so), so I will ask them to look at it again and see what they come up with.

cheers

moff
Old 02-12-2004, 03:51 AM

Moff, mines been in 3 times now to try and solve the hardtop rattling around by the top of the windscreen frame. They have tried adjusting and now they are trying a new seal. Its in on the 24th.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:22 AM

should have mentioned, that I was not talking about a hardtop! Although I do sympathise mole
Old 02-12-2004, 07:57 AM

Sorry Moff, hope it gets sorted.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:28 AM
GSi

So did they apply the 2 types of grease as per the bulletin? IIRC Shin Etsu is for the waterproofing of the seals and there is another 'white' grease to be used to lubricate the various joints. The bulletin also recommends packing out the clips that hold the roof shut.

Did they do all of that??

When I took mine in I think they just did the seals - and badly
Old 02-12-2004, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

which bulletin does it say that on Rob?
Old 02-12-2004, 08:54 AM

I follow ANY rattle thread since they drive me nuts and I have a quick question:

Would you call this rattle metal on metal? Or just a plain and simple rattle?

The reason I ask is I had a rattle when the top is up (last Fall was the last I drove the s2k ) and finally figured it out.

For me it wasn't the strikers or rubber seals, but a plastic tab (protector type thingy) that wraps around part of the top frame. It's is about the size of a band-aid and black in color. You can get at this by standing with the door open and it's even easier to get to if you open the top 1/4 of the way. It's apparently there for protection of rubbing or something. Anyway, what I found is that the back side of this "strip" wasn't stuck very well and would rub aginst the top material when closed (top up) creating a very annoying "rattle" type sound.

As soon as I applied a bit of heat and firm pressure to this tape/protector strip the rattle sound went away instantly ! In fact I was perturbed that such a small and easy fix was the source of my rattle. In the summer months it never bothered me since the top is down most of the time and the warmer weather must have allowed the "strip" to be adhered well enough not to make noise when the top was up.

Not sure if this info will help but wanted to share just in case it does
Old 02-17-2004, 02:41 PM

The dealers have had mine in 4 times so far and it's with them for 2 days as we speak for the 5th time.

The tried to adjust the hard top as it makes the rattle from the front, and today it's in for all new catches as they can't stop it.
Anyway the pojnt is after they adjusted the H/T last time, now the soft top rattles and it's coming from the middle bar across the roof so they are looking at that as well now.

Gary
Old 02-18-2004, 12:50 AM

AE- Service Bulletins can be found here: https://www.s2ki.com/user/content/view/full/259/
Just print them off and take them with you to the dealer!

GSI - I provided the service bulletin and they *said* they followed it, but I doubt that they did it properly (or am I a cynic) as the rattle is still very obvious and still there.

Ninegrand, have you got a pic of the offending item? I will look again at the weekend.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:55 AM

I do vaguely remember someone on here mentioning the plates that clip the roof being the cause of a rattle and that it cost about

Quick Reply: Rattling roof UPDATE