UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Rattling hardtop/softtop latches - 2 minute fix, finally!

Old 09-14-2024, 08:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rattling hardtop/softtop latches - 2 minute fix, finally!

I hope this is a new idea, and apologies if not - but having owned my 2008 S2000 from new, I've tried all sorts to fix the rattles from the softtop and hardtop roof latches, including stick-on foam strips, bits of rubber tubing, and even a folded up face-mask during covid (I was desperate on a long drive!)

Today the hard top went on, and the knocking and rattling was just horrible - but I think I've now found a cheap, quick, non-destructive fix - self-amalgamating tape!
Wrap a thin layer tightly around the hooked end (arrowed) on the latch, and a small piece on the pin (circled) inside the catch (see pics) - not pretty, but invisible once the roof is latched
I found that if the whole of the thin pin (circled) was covered, the latch wouldn't say shut and could pop open dangerously - so removed a bit, but the remaining was enough to still have the desired anti-rattle effect, whilst still being solidly closed and not popping open.
e.g. tape:- 2 rolls, for £8.90 inc. vat -
Amazon Amazon
The self-amalgamating tape forms a flexible coating which absorbs the knocks and bumps really well, and I now have a truly silent hard top!
I'd recommend a bit of experimentation with how much/little to wrap around it (and then once closed, pull hard to ensure it can't come un-done - at your own risk!!) - but it's so cheap, you can easily remove and try again, to get it just right!

Ignore the stick on foam tape on the sides - made a small difference previously, so left on....

The following 3 users liked this post by Elijah:
martin j (09-15-2024), wminner (09-15-2024), you reds (09-15-2024)
Old 09-15-2024, 05:33 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

This is addressed in the Technical FAQ post, using clear fish tank tubing, although black general windscreen washer tubing works fine too, just squirt a bit of washing up liquid or silicone spray in it first to get the lug through.
Old 09-15-2024, 05:43 AM

I did try the clear fish tank tubing, and didn't work for me.....tubing came off, or was too tight to get it closed properly. But this worked for me!
Maybe one to add to the Technical FAQs post as a quick cheap alternative that may work for some.......
Old 09-15-2024, 09:59 AM

Received 136 Likes on 115 Posts

Well done, I had no idea there was such a product. I have tried the clear tubing, it is hard to get in the right position.
The following users liked this post:
Elijah (09-15-2024)
Old 09-15-2024, 11:58 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bane of my life, I have a lovely factory hardtop and never really use it just it because the rattling/banging drives me mad.I can see previous owner has attempted foam!glad you resolved, makes me want to try again
Old 09-16-2024, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by meemo
Bane of my life, I have a lovely factory hardtop and never really use it just it because the rattling/banging drives me mad.I can see previous owner has attempted foam!glad you resolved, makes me want to try again
Definitely worth trying again - whilst I love the roof-down driving, in the winter the hardtop massively increased the longevity of the softtop, and I've always felt the S2000 looks best with the hard top on too - so worth the effort.
Same principle on the soft top latches too, and made them much quieter too.
The only other noise I've experienced from the hard top is the squeeking where the hard top touches the trip at the back - so a very very thin smear of vaseline has solved that for me. So little, you can't see it once it's rubbed on with a finger....