UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Rattle......yes, another rattle thread..

Old 10-19-2010, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle......yes, another rattle thread..

Ok. The rattle only appears when you start the car up. The car starts perfectly as you'd expect, the engine revs drop down as it settles, they do dip low but not stalling low, and this is where the rattle appears. Anyone got any ideas? My main thought is maybe a heatshield or something exhaust related. BUT, if it were related to the timing chain, when should I expect to be able to hear that type of rattle??

Chad.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:19 AM

Is it anything like my symptoms?

Annoying rattle from under the car
Old 10-19-2010, 08:06 AM

If it's tinkly, like broken plates, it could be your cat.
If it sounds like big bees in a can, check exhaust and welds for leaks.
If it's metallic, check heatshields.

I feel your pain.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:26 AM

It is only at very low revs, sub 1000rpm, not like you say yours is kmc, at around 2000rpm.

exalto; the broken plates option has been dealt with, with a de-cat
I don't think it's blowing anywhere, I'm sure I would of noticed it by now. It is metallic for sure. To me it sounds like heat shields and too tinny to be anything engine related. But, I've not heard a timing chain that's loose on one of these engines. I've only heard these type of timing chain noises on little crappy corsa's which was more like a growl if I remember correctly. And the infamous vanos units on numerous BMW's I've had, but that's a slightly different issue, but again it's more of a growl.

The only type of sound that's ever matched it, is when the exhaust support bracket has snapped and is chattering together if you've ever heard that?

Come to think of it, kmc, have you checked the bracket at the front end of your exhaust? Seems like a common problem on most cars these days, it snaps and chatters together. It's a horrible noise, maybe yours is that??

Chad.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:40 AM

I know that timing chain noise can be affected by the oil level. Have you checked that? Mine makes a little noise if the oil is anything but full. Topping it up takes the chatter away.

If its a standard exhaust, the helm holtz welds can weaken. Mine did and despite scrutiny, I failed to see that part being the cause of a little rattle that grew into a huge headache until it started blowing and I finally had a 'duh' moment.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:14 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

The only annoying rattle i had from mine at the front was the vac pipes that run up the front of the crossmember to the base of the airbox - they used to tap off the crossmember at low revs.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TCT rattle is usually when the engine is hot, and you return to idle. You should hear mine. I have the TCT rattle, that then resonates through something else - the heat shield I suspect.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:16 PM

Cars eh!? There's always something to keep us busy with them. I'll have to have a good look around the heatshields and see if I can shut it up. Unclefester - How the hell did you find that one out?? Must of been some really dedicated searching for the noise.

Chad.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:29 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Random searching under the bonnet by twanging and prodding anything and everything that looked loose! Took me almost 3 months to track it down and it wasn't until i went to fit the PRM that the problem become visible.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:40 PM

Crikey! Well, it is certainly a good find. One for people to log in their memory I reckon.

Quick Reply: Rattle......yes, another rattle thread..