UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Rake and ride heights

Old 12-25-2010, 05:57 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by m1bjr,Dec 24 2010, 12:30 AM
I ran 2deg of fwd rake for a fair time.
And then changed it to level.

Level was better on track with a bigger front bar.
Rake fwd looks nice but tends to loosen the rear on entry unless you bang the hammer down
What he said....

Front rake here too at the moment.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Played around this a bit this year. I measure the std honda measure of center of wishbone bolt to floor. I've gone for quite a low rear ride height, ending up with front ride height large than the rear. Reasons....

1. Running 245's on the front so have more front grip.
2. Much thicker front ARB than rear (Tenabe F and std 2003(?) rear)
3. I have J's ball joint sot compensate for rear ride height.
4. I can always use more grip from the rear.

I've also got the Nitrons (you need the ride height adjustable rears if getting the Nitrons). I've run harder springs (375 or 400lb) compared to the Bilsteins which on circuits has worked great but on hillclimbs probably has been a bit hard.

In general it worked well this season. Good grip under drive and transition from braking to drive. Could do with softer springs on bumpier surfaces.

245's give great front grip but made braking vaguer. Probably need to play with F wheel offsets and softer brake pads.

Ride heights were R: 144mm F: 165mm (std is R: 225 F: 197)

Matt
Old 12-26-2010, 01:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Matt,

I saw your car when mine was in at TGM. I noticed your Nitron setup too.

I thin kthe Nitrons have changed a little since your and certainly since some of the other members got them. I've got the recently changed Nitron Sports and they now have height adjusters front and rear that are separate to the spring perches.

The car ended up going to Nitron to be setup so I need to check with them and Tom for the specific of the setup they've done.

Reading Redun's comment a few posts up can I assume that rake and corner weights are directly linked or can you still be corner weighted, babalnced front to rear and have a choice on the rake?

No problems with mine just curious.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by RedUn,Dec 24 2010, 10:49 AM
Corner weight it and what will be will be.

Mine was basically flat when corner weighted IIRC.
So was mine with a 35mm drop
A little too far for rural B roads IME
Old 12-27-2010, 11:34 AM

NB - When they corner weight your car they do that by adjusting the height of the suspension at each corner so you get what your given if you follow? I.E. they lower a corner to increase the weight and do the opposite to decrease the weight.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Corner weighting does not affect the height, it alters the preload on the springs
Old 12-27-2010, 12:28 PM
Community Organizer

Corner weighting on a budget

http://www.turbosport.co.uk/showthread.php...-under-a-tenner!
Old 12-27-2010, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by The Loon,Dec 27 2010, 09:28 PM
I always wondered about doing something like that. It just hadn't occurred to me to combine several bathroom scales as I figured the weight would be too much for one (though maybe you can get 300Kg bathroom scales from America) .

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the point of corner weighting is to get the two diagonals the same (otherwise it wouldn't work on most cars). So you can still have the rake.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dembo,Dec 27 2010, 10:58 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the point of corner weighting is to get the two diagonals the same (otherwise it wouldn't work on most cars). So you can still have the rake.
Correct
Old 12-27-2010, 01:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dembo,Dec 27 2010, 10:58 PM
Yes.

The reason for trying to get the diagonals the same is to ensure equal behaviour on entry to either left or right corners

You can still change the attitude of the car, set that first and then corner weight.
Jacking a corner may change the height very slightly but thats not the important variable

Dont get too hung up on rake, its VERY subtle in its effect.
Rake cannot alter weight distribution either, only physically movign weights about the car can do that - another common misconception.

Quick Reply: Rake and ride heights