UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Raising Car onto Axle Stands

Old 11-06-2012, 12:23 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I like to jack front individually then the rear off the diff. Then reverse when lowering.

The saftest way on a lowered car when you can't reach the front central jack point IMO
Old 11-06-2012, 01:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a lowered car it is easy to drive onto a couple of planks of wood just to get the front high enough to get the jack in to the centre lifting point. I have some small home-made ramps made out of a series of increasingly short lengths of wood, to get the height at the front.

Sorry for the lack of graphics skill, but the principle is like this:

---
----------
-----------------------
Old 11-06-2012, 01:51 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

I have a 3 ton Costco bought jack that has a good long reach. With my lowered car, I drive one front wheel onto a 2cm paving slab and the jack goes under to the central jacking point easily.

Review of it here: http://www.eunos-roadster.co.uk/?p=856
Old 11-06-2012, 01:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have that very jack... I should be fine then
Old 11-06-2012, 02:45 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
Originally Posted by AlexGJ248' timestamp='1352043470' post='22128697
I usually just jack it up on the bottom of the wishbone (as close to the wheel as possible). Then put the stands in.
The problem with jacking it up close to the wheel is that you are compressing the spring/damper. It's not an ideal place. Using the front caster bush bolt to jack up on is a better choice (Providing your jack had a non slip rubber mat)

Originally Posted by Dembo
I don't know why you'd be putting any body parts under the car before it was properly supported. I certainly wouldn't.

I pulled a car of an axle stand onto my chest. Fortunately it was the rear of an EK4 so the weight was probably in the region of 200kg. Still, being pinned under a car and not being able to move or breathe with your mate screaming thinking you're dead is pretty scary!

If you can, put the wheel you have taken off, under the car near where you are working

Been there and done that. Using a wheel as a safety measure is a very good idea. I have a couple of half railway sleepers I use in the same way. Nothing will compress them and they will never topple. I've known two people crushed to death under cars - absolutely stupid way to die.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:33 AM

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi
I've known two people crushed to death under cars - absolutely stupid way to die.
I wouldn't say stupid, most are probably just rushed. Im always careful because im a little paranoid about it so axle stands, old wheels underneath and the jacks on front/rear points if i can as well. Cant be too careful unless of course you can bench half a ton.....
Old 11-07-2012, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Irish TuneR
Originally Posted by gaddafi' timestamp='1352202313' post='22132427
I've known two people crushed to death under cars - absolutely stupid way to die.
I wouldn't say stupid, most are probably just rushed.
I think Gad meant that it is a stupid way to die, not that the people who died were stupid And he's right - being crushed by a car is a stupid pathetic way to leave this world.

When I put the axle stand on the Civic, it was in the specified place to put it according to Honda. I wasn't rushed either.

Bottom line is I didn't weigh up the situation properly primarily because I was busy concentrating on other things. Having something that is sold and can't topple means that whatever happens, you are giving yourself a good chance of coming out of the issue alive!

Within two minutes of getting out from under the car, I had to get back under it to finish of the work. I put a brave face on at the time, but I was fecking bricking it TBH, despite putting several axle stands underneath!
Old 11-07-2012, 07:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
Originally Posted by Irish TuneR' timestamp='1352280812' post='22134888
[quote name='gaddafi' timestamp='1352202313' post='22132427'] I've known two people crushed to death under cars - absolutely stupid way to die.
I wouldn't say stupid, most are probably just rushed.
I think Gad meant that it is a stupid way to die, not that the people who died were stupid And he's right - being crushed by a car is a stupid pathetic way to leave this world.

When I put the axle stand on the Civic, it was in the specified place to put it according to Honda. I wasn't rushed either.

Bottom line is I didn't weigh up the situation properly primarily because I was busy concentrating on other things. Having something that is sold and can't topple means that whatever happens, you are giving yourself a good chance of coming out of the issue alive!

Within two minutes of getting out from under the car, I had to get back under it to finish of the work. I put a brave face on at the time, but I was fecking bricking it TBH, despite putting several axle stands underneath!
[/quote]

I've got four new axle stands and two jacks - one of those jacks is the costco 3-tonne jobbie so I'm fairly confident the equipment will sustain the load. However getting underneath a car, you've always extremely wary of what's actually happening and the type of mass above you. Well that and how little time it would take for you to end up looking like a pancake.

Getting under the car is nerve-racking period. When it's not, it's probably time to re-evaluate what you're up to as you may not be concentrating.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:04 AM
jml

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts