UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Raising Car onto Axle Stands

Old 11-04-2012, 01:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Raising Car onto Axle Stands

Morning all,

Following on from a very slippery drive yesterday afternoon, I think it would be a good time to garage the S2000 and get on with the winter maintenance and upgrades.

Can anyone advise the best way to get the S2000 up onto axle stands? Is there a front jacking point in the centre at the front of the car like my E46 M3 had? I can't see anything. I'd then use the diff to get the back up into the air, that ok?

Thanks in advance.

G
Old 11-04-2012, 01:44 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Check out the technical FAQ sticky thread for details - but yes there are front and rear centre jacking points.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:08 AM

Ah... thanks for that.

I was looking in "under the hood FAQ".

Will give it a bash this week. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be careful when you do it - especially at the back!
I had my jack tip up whilst i was trying to put the car on axle stands once, causing the car to fall and trap my leg. Fortunately the axle stand I was trying to put under there fell over, so my leg wasn't completely squashed!!
Old 11-04-2012, 02:28 AM

Thanks, will do. Sounds like you had a lucky escape.

I've done it several times on my M3 without any problem. I always leave the wheels on until the axle stands are securely in place, then the wheels come off and go under the car. If I'm working in a particular area, I keep a jack the part I'm working on to take the load should the worst happen. Can never be too safe.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:38 AM

My jack wouldn't get under the car coz of the exhaust at the time, so I had to take a wheel off. Still, I survived.

What changes are you doing to your car?
Old 11-04-2012, 06:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually just jack it up on the bottom of the wishbone (as close to the wheel as possible). Then put the stands in.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know why you'd be putting any body parts under the car before it was properly supported. I certainly wouldn't.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by AlexGJ248
I usually just jack it up on the bottom of the wishbone (as close to the wheel as possible). Then put the stands in.
The problem with jacking it up close to the wheel is that you are compressing the spring/damper. It's not an ideal place. Using the front caster bush bolt to jack up on is a better choice (Providing your jack had a non slip rubber mat)

Originally Posted by Dembo
I don't know why you'd be putting any body parts under the car before it was properly supported. I certainly wouldn't.

I pulled a car of an axle stand onto my chest. Fortunately it was the rear of an EK4 so the weight was probably in the region of 200kg. Still, being pinned under a car and not being able to move or breathe with your mate screaming thinking you're dead is pretty scary!

If you can, put the wheel you have taken off, under the car near where you are working

As for the jacking procedure, if you are working on a lowered car, you won't be able to get the front centre point.

My sequence:

Jack up rear passenger side.
Place axle stand under front passenger side jack point.
release jack.
Jack up rear centre jack point (Diff).
Place axle stand under rear passenger side.
Release Jack.
Jack up front driver side jacking point.
Place axle stand under rear driver side.
Release jack (As you do this, rear passenger side will lift off axle stand so be careful as always lowering the car).
Jack up front driver caster bush bolt.
Place axle stand under front driver side jacking point.
Release jack.

Removal from stands is reverse of procedure.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:45 AM

My sequence,
Three jack points along sides,( two at the front). Jack middle front, axel stands to front and rear. Repeat other side.

Quick Reply: Raising Car onto Axle Stands