UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Rad shield plates with Snorkles

Old 09-07-2005, 12:58 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by craig armstrong,Sep 7 2005, 08:50 AM
I would have thought Honda would have made bigger holes if the air was better passed over the engine than forced against the radiator.
I would have thought the holes would allow enough air through the airguide to circulate the air in the engine bay.

I think this is why they call it an air guide.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its all a bit mental , I would of thought that the cooler the Rad can work the better it can keep the coolent at a constant temp and the Engine so that it dont retart the power.

Old 09-07-2005, 01:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I prefer the cold air forced against the radiator and directly into the air box myself. I recall Nick Graves mentioning that the S2000 prototype had some sort of snorkel device too. I certainly don't believe the air guide does a better job than a cooling plate or a snorkel in conjunction with a rad plate. It would be interesting no know whether these aftermarket rads make a perceptible difference other than on the track too.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:12 AM

Im kinda thinking the GD panel with a uprated Radiator & Bits as my solution , craig do you or can you take some shots of the underneath of the GD panel..Im curious as to how much of the aribox mouth it covers up and the way the guides are moulded underneath

Old 09-07-2005, 01:18 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by craig armstrong,Sep 7 2005, 09:02 AM
I certainly don't believe the air guide does a better job than a cooling plate or a snorkel in conjunction with a rad plate.
I do!

A snorkel puts cooler air into the airbox, the airguide will help air circulate in the engine bay.

Add a rad plate with the snorkel and you still get the cool air into air box but you don't get the circulation in the engine bay.

Add a rade plate without a snorkel and you get warm air into the airbox *and* no circulation in the engine bay.

Think about it, with the hood closed the top of the engine bay is going to get *very* hot if there is no circulation.

I think that Honda knew exactly what they were doing when they designed the airguide.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Lickermat,Sep 7 2005, 10:12 AM
Im kinda thinking the GD panel with a uprated Radiator & Bits as my solution , craig do you or can you take some shots of the underneath of the GD panel..Im curious as to how much of the aribox mouth it covers up and the way the guides are moulded underneath

There's no depth as such to the rad plate - the snorkel bit does mate up nicely with the air box funnel though.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your looking to improve your cooling systems effeciency you could start with a increased pressure rad cap and some water wetter.

interesting link Here and here
Old 09-07-2005, 01:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember the wetter water GB
All went very quiet - did it actually work then!

IMHO StevenM has a very good point!
Way to go is a snorkel and rad plate.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by StevenM,Sep 7 2005, 10:18 AM
Add a rade plate without a snorkel and you get warm air into the airbox *and* no circulation in the engine bay.

Think about it, with the hood closed the top of the engine bay is going to get *very* hot if there is no circulation.
I didn't disagree with that point Steven though - I specifically referred to a cooling plate like mine or a snorkel used in conjunction with a rad plate.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:52 AM

How far down does the Snorkle opening appear in the fron grille , any pics ?

Quick Reply: Rad shield plates with Snorkles