UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

RaceLogic - Traction Control

Old 07-20-2002, 04:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
apart from the re-siting of the headlights washer button! D
I overcame that problem by pulling the fuse. If I go on a safari rally, then I can always put it back.

Ditto on the rear window too. Plus I didn't fancy losing my audio cassette facility, nor gaining the chromed lights and "silver" door handles etc. so... all those silly little things influenced my final decision not to go ahead.

The traction control system is an attractive, if expensive, proposition.

I may have to get the leather console cover too

Pete
Old 07-22-2002, 01:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PWE 896
[B]The unburned fuel in the exhaust will have a catastrophic affect if there is a catalytic converter in the exhaust, as it will try to convert the unburned fuel to harmless elements, effectively burning the mixture. This causes the catalytic converter to heat up very rapidly, reaching temperatures in excess of 1000
Old 07-22-2002, 01:54 AM

I guess the key phrase is 'prolonged' use, perhaps it would be worth removing the cat for a wet track day or something but day-to-day how often would you really use TC?

Most mainstream manufacturers have 2 stage TC on offer now and all their cars have cats - if Ford and Vauxhall can implement TC I'm sure it can be done on an S2000
Old 07-22-2002, 03:56 AM

I think there's a combination of "got hold of" and "wrong end of the stick" here

If you read the thing through again, Racelogic only use the spark cut method on cars with no electronic fuel system.

As the S2000 has EFI, the question regarding removing the cat does not arise.

It's relatively simple install, or so I'm told

Pete
Old 07-22-2002, 07:41 AM

More a combination of "just started work" and "trying to look like I'm working while browsing the site", meaning the article got skim-read.

Next time I'll read properly before I post instead of spouting off.
Old 07-22-2002, 08:07 AM

Anymore info on the group buy Pete?

Often.
Old 07-22-2002, 08:24 AM

Traction control ... nah!

Just take your car to a nice big wet empty car park and learn how to handle it in a slide, the S2000's limited slip diff gives the opportunity to keep the power on and drive out of a slide if you get the balance right. And it is fun!

If you can't find a car park then book yourself a session on the Brands Hatch Rally School - the most fun I have ever had in a car (well, before I go the S of course! )

The biggest scare occurs when you slide unexpectedly and take your foot off the accelerator in panic - then it whips!

All this talk of dumping unburnt fuel through the exhaust (destroying the legally required, and expensive, cat), potential for reduced acceleration performance ("This results in a very stable car, but one which will not accelerate at it's maximum potential at all times." ) - and you guys would pay for this??!!

Just my random thoughts!

- Frisky
Old 07-22-2002, 08:29 AM

Just dont want that damn Boxster getting away from me around the corners!

Holding the slide still loses you valuable speed (well it does in a kart anyway)

Often.
Old 07-22-2002, 08:46 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frisky
[B]Traction control ... nah!
Old 07-22-2002, 08:57 AM

IMHO, I think that TC is a preference of their particular owner. I can definately see the advantages of owning TC that allows you to adjust the level of slip, but I can also see why Honda went for the limited slip option and the benefits / cons of it.

Each to their own on this one, me thinks! Personally, I'll stay with the limited slip diff without any traction control (as Honda intended) and enjoy the uncertainty of the car driven fast in the wet!

Pete, I'd be interested in hearing how you get on with it!

Quick Reply: RaceLogic - Traction Control