UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

RAC Windscreens

Old 01-15-2007, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveB,Jan 14 2007, 03:03 PM
On the topic of windscreen replacement, mine sparkles slightly in the sunlight as if there are little defects/pits in it. At what point can you say "this windscreen is too dangerous to drive with and try to get the insurance company to pay for a new one?" What do you reckon my chances are?

In other words , what will the insurance company pay out for and what won't they?

Does the windscreen have to be totally smashed or can a whole host of pits or a crack be enough for a new one?
Catapult + Ball Bearing + Windscreen = New One....!
Old 01-15-2007, 02:38 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

I think a ball pein hammer is a little more predictable!!
Old 01-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveB,Jan 14 2007, 11:03 PM
On the topic of windscreen replacement, mine sparkles slightly in the sunlight as if there are little defects/pits in it. At what point can you say "this windscreen is too dangerous to drive with and try to get the insurance company to pay for a new one?" What do you reckon my chances are?

In other words , what will the insurance company pay out for and what won't they?

Does the windscreen have to be totally smashed or can a whole host of pits or a crack be enough for a new one?
Mine was like this

Just take it to the windscreen place, they admin all the insurance info you need. At least they did for me, I paid them the excess.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:01 PM

[QUOTE=AquilaEagle,Jan 15 2007, 09:25 PM]Mine was like this

Just take it to the windscreen place, they admin all the insurance info you need.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by gaddafi,Jan 15 2007, 11:38 AM
I think a ball pein hammer is a little more predictable!!
Real subtle lads...... problem is I don't have a ball pein hammer.

Will consider it if all else fails though.

Ta
Old 01-16-2007, 12:35 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Well, use your centre punch - it'll look more like a stonechip.

Or easier, drive round Hertfordshire for a couple of hours.

Can't help you about the nosecone respray, though!
Old 01-23-2008, 12:25 PM
JG

My windscreen went tonight. Thought I got hit hard yesterday, but no obvious chips and then tonight a large crack top centre of the screen.

My insurance policy suggests:
"...provided that the work is carried out by 'RAC Autowindscreens'"

I'll be required to pay
Old 01-23-2008, 01:24 PM

Hi JG,

I too was concerned about using RAC windscreens when needing to get my screen replaced and reading numerous bad reports on here.

A top tips thread was put together listing the do's, dont's and what to look out for when getting the screens replaced, see the original thread:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=549668

I found RAC windscreens excellent on the day, doing a very professional job, taking lots of care. The fitter was an ex-engineer at a manufacturing business, a car enthusiast and good all around chap. His attention for detail was spot on with lots of checking and re-checking. I showed him the above list and although I think he thought I was slightly obsessive he checked through it with me.

Overall, from my experience, I think it really depends on who you deal with and fits the screen, but RAC were very good. No problems on the day or since. I guess like any thing in life you get good one and bad ones.

Cheers

Kramix
Old 01-23-2008, 01:37 PM
Jel

RAC Autowindscreens were bought out by Aviva (Norwich Union) a while back. The upshot is you will find a vast proportion of the country will have them as their approved repairer.

I've always had good experiences with them, aside from a wide boy fitter who tried to convince me my wipers were shit and I needed his unbranded specials at a blown up price.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by gaddafi,Jan 14 2007, 09:08 AM
have you noticed that, when you buy insurance?

five minutes to buy

then try the claims experience..........
I agree with you on most things but I have to admit that my recent claim with Bell Direct was handled very well. Wasnt made to feel like i crashed my car on purpose, got the repair authorised to be carried out by my local Honda dealer (instead of the recommended repair shop) and was kept in touch as to all the developments.. a breath of fresh air to be honest!

Quick Reply: RAC Windscreens