UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Rac Auto windscreens

Old 06-07-2007, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Rac Auto windscreens

I had my windscreen replace through my insurance (elephant) yesturday. I got it dont at work so didnt get to look at/drive the car until i left last night.

Before getting in my car, i inspected their work. I was seriously p***ed off to find that both top corners of the rubber seal around the screen did not meet the frame. Thinking it was too late nad they would be closed, I decided I would drive home (very angry ) and deal with it in the morning.

Soon after I pulled away, I realised not only had they badly fitted the screen but also that the rear view mirror was loose and wobbling all over the place, gggrrrrrr again!!!1

At 7.30 this morning I rung them up and they got 2 fitters to my workplace by about 12. They tightened the rear view mirror which is now ok but informed me that they could do nothing about the seal. They said they were surprised that the fitter yesturday had used the old seal. "old seal???" i said, thinking it would be standard to use a new one. he said, no, its definitely the old one and this is why its not meeting the frame.

He went on to say that all glass should come with new seals and now, the only way they can get one is to order it from Honda. on top of that, they cant take the glass out again for atleast 2 weeks as the glue wont be dry before then and will make a mess on my car.

Ive complained to RAC many times now and also to elephant who were both helpful on the phone but what good is that to me? Ive now got no choice but to wait two/three weeks for them to sort their mistakes out!!!

Rant over
Old 06-07-2007, 06:20 AM

tell them they'll be billed for a hire car in the meantime as your's is undrivable.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:23 AM

Tried that one bibbs but they had already spoke to my insurance company and told them its completely driveable. Apparently its sealed from underneath fully and the top seal is only for show.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:31 AM

by the way bibbs, sorry didnt talk to you much at the ring, was with alot of people, meant to come back and chat but my mate crashed his m5
Old 06-07-2007, 06:32 AM

what do you meen the seal is not meeting the frame. I had mine replaced two weeks ago and a bit worried now, rear view mirror is bouncing all over and the black seal around the window that overlaps the metal frame is a bit loose (wasnt sure if it was ment to be like this), should i get them back out??
Old 06-07-2007, 06:38 AM

what do you meen the seal is not meeting the frame. I had mine replaced two weeks ago and a bit worried now, rear view mirror is bouncing all over and the black seal around the window that overlaps the metal frame is a bit loose (wasnt sure if it was ment to be like this), should i get them back out??
All i know jenny, is that it wasnt like that before they replaced the screen so why should it be now? Sounds like they done the same to you as they did me - definitely not right.

Get them back out asap! Dont let em get away with it.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:41 AM

Jenny, I just had a look at a 55 plate S2000 on our forecourt and the black rubber windscreen seal is fitted firmly to the aperture overlapping the roof above the screen and also overlapping the glass at the top of the screen (it is the original screen also).

As far as I am concerned the seal should not be loose and if the screen is replaced there should be a new seal as well.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:53 AM

The seal was new, I saw him get it out with the screen, its fine at the top its just down the sides it looks and feels loose.

I will pop in on them this weekend and see what they say.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:09 AM

The seal at the sides does stand proud of the screen, but should not be loose.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:24 AM

its the actual seal against the frame thats loose. Its tight against the glass.

Quick Reply: Rac Auto windscreens