UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Quicker Than I Expected

Old 07-20-2004, 11:37 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Quicker Than I Expected

Had an interesting little blat with a CTR on some dc near me.

I was in front and had first run on three occasions from between 30 and 60.

Some twisty bits.

I had about 5/6 car lengths (which was a safe distance) but couldn't open up any more of a lead. That did surprise me a bit as I thought I'd pull out a little as the speeds rose. I didn't miss a gear either, and kept it bang in the zone.

His car did sound a bit lairy 'through' a roundabout though. Serious tyre squeal while I went round at about 75% with no drama. Nice toot and wave as I turned off. Shame more drivers aren't like this guy.

I was top down and I've heard that top up makes a significant difference (whilst completely losing the point of having an S2000....) but I doubt it at those speeds.

I'm pretty sure I would have found it VERY difficult to have got past if he was in front.

So, lots of respect to the CTR, but I think Honda have let the hatch get a liitle close in the performance stakes. Especially when you take into account the
Old 07-20-2004, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's easy for most drivers to get the last 20% of performance out of a front wheel drive hot hatch, much harder to get at the extra in the S which makes it about even with a type R. in truth I am probably cornering faster in the hire car fiesta i have now than I would in my s on a slightly damp day like today. think th etype R is on 225/45/17 rubber too so it can probably corner at about the same speed.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:19 AM

You are right about the top down bit, but this shouldn't have too much affect below 90ish. I had a play with a Clio Williams, overtook him at 100-110 km/h and could really feel the wind hit me, and at 130 km/h it was almost like a brick wall with the top down. With the top up the car accelerates faster at these speeds.

The CTR is very easy to drive, they don't have to worry too much about accelerating too hard in corners as it just understeers, they will try and drive more than 100% in these conditions where as we will generally value our lives, our car and not going in a ditch!
Old 07-21-2004, 12:44 AM

I have got both the CTR and the S2 there really is not that much in it performance wise. The CTR is a lot easier to drive at speed.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:57 AM
Ryn

Originally Posted by DE Burr,Jul 21 2004, 08:44 AM
I have got both the CTR and the S2 there really is not that much in it performance wise. The CTR is a lot easier to drive at speed.
I agree my old CTR was great fun and very quick but it did understeer at speed. I feel that the S is quicker though but not by much. Mainly I think owing to the prolonged VTEC zone.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by moff,Jul 21 2004, 08:19 AM
The CTR is very easy to drive, they don't have to worry too much about accelerating too hard in corners as it just understeers, they will try and drive more than 100% in these conditions where as we will generally value our lives, our car and not going in a ditch!
I agree, unless you have a good dry road where you know the bends well it will be a struggle to pull out on a CTR. Having said that, a steep hill could do the trick (allowing the S2000 to get full power down without risking life, limb and imprisonment - just risking licence loss!). The S is just that little bit quicker but not by much, in theory of course
Old 07-21-2004, 01:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=gaddafi,Jul 21 2004, 08:37 AM] So, lots of respect to the CTR, but I think Honda have let the hatch get a liitle close in the performance stakes. Especially when you take into account the
Old 07-21-2004, 02:01 AM

Its always easier to hunt than be hunted...
Old 07-21-2004, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Tonky,Jul 21 2004, 09:30 AM
Honda really need to up the performance of the S, and that's a tall order - which is perhaps why there are no plans to replace it?
It's a real shame Honda didn't move things on to keep ahead of the competition - everyone else keeps putting in more powerful engines, why not Honda? If only they had followed the BMW Z3M lead, and put in a 320bhp engine, then I wouldn't have felt the need to change to a TVR.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:12 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a TVR?

Quick Reply: Quicker Than I Expected