UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Quick roof noise question

Old 02-10-2006, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick roof noise question

I have repaired the hole in my roof and the cabin is alot quieter, now though i have another noise i can hear. From the front of the roof the seal is not 100% tight, if i pull the roof down with the little hole for your hand the noise goes. So i need the front of the roof to be pulled down tighter, what should i try? Was thinking of the tubing from the FAQ but this was done to stop noise not tighten the seal between roof and top of windscreen.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:52 AM

anyone?
Old 02-10-2006, 04:01 AM

Unlike some cars where you can adjust the length of the hooks that pull the hood tight there is no adjustment on the S2000. I can't think of an easy way to do what you want short of some draft excluding foam for house windows!

Are the hooks or the point that they attach to worn?
Old 02-10-2006, 04:10 AM

I dont think so, they look fine. Just dont "pull" enough
Old 02-10-2006, 04:17 AM

I've got little rubber sleves for the hooks (windscreen washer hose) and it stops rattles and also pulls a bit tighter.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Cardiff,Feb 10 2006, 04:28 AM
I have repaired the hole in my roof and the cabin is alot quieter, now though i have another noise i can hear. From the front of the roof the seal is not 100% tight, if i pull the roof down with the little hole for your hand the noise goes. So i need the front of the roof to be pulled down tighter, what should i try? Was thinking of the tubing from the FAQ but this was done to stop noise not tighten the seal between roof and top of windscreen.
Sounds like your roof strikers are worn.... There was a TSB for MY00-01 to replace the strikers with hardtop strikers.....

TSB is posted below.....
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=275211

Its probably hard to see but when you take them off, you will see that the strikers you have on there now, have been worn down over time, and it will look like the hook has been chewing on the catch spot. New hardtop strikers will solve your problem.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:55 AM

Thanks for TSB, I have hard top strikers though! Will check for wear and get some type of rubber tubing to pull the parts closer
Old 02-10-2006, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Cardiff,Feb 10 2006, 09:28 AM
Was thinking of the tubing from the FAQ but this was done to stop noise not tighten the seal between roof and top of windscreen.
This is one and the same thing mate, tightening the seal between the roof and windscreen drastically reduces all sorts of wind related noises, iv done this and noticed a massive improvement!
Old 02-10-2006, 09:08 AM

Forgive me if im telling you to suck eggs here,but you are sealing the hood when you've lowered it with the final flick of the switch?

Only saying so coz i thought i had a problem with mine when i bought it and had the hood down the first time..
Old 02-10-2006, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by PhenomS2k,Feb 10 2006, 10:04 AM
This is one and the same thing mate, tightening the seal between the roof and windscreen drastically reduces all sorts of wind related noises, iv done this and noticed a massive improvement!
I think that he meant that the fix in the FAQ was to stop squeaking between striker and the protrusion on the hood that locates it in the striker. If you add tube to the bit that sticks out of the hood then you will push the hood further away from the frame of the window rather than pull it closer.

I would consider some sort of tubing on the hock itself as a quick fix as this will pull the hood tighter.

Quick Reply: Quick roof noise question