UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Qui et la?

Old 04-26-2004, 04:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Qui et la?

Went on a day trip to France yesterday with the S. Had a great day, thanks to Mr. P&O for the
Old 04-26-2004, 04:50 AM

I've been reading some scary stuff recently about "rigorous" policing of the speed limits by the Gendarmarie of English drivers - licences confiscated etc.

Do they only target the major roads?
Old 04-26-2004, 04:57 AM

Gareth, as far as your thread title goes, I think you need to either (a) brush up on your typing or (b) brush up on your French!

I'd heard similar things to Euan, about Les Dibbles staking out the roads around Calais with a view to snaring lots of Uk drivers over there on day trips or heading out into France after getting off the ferry.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:57 AM

Originally posted by euan
I've been reading some scary stuff recently about "rigorous" policing of the speed limits by the Gendarmarie of English drivers - licences confiscated etc.

Do they only target the major roads?
Spoke to a friend that i'm going to Le Mans with in June. He got caught 50kph above the speed limit on an N road (French equivalent of our A road) near Le Mans a couple of years back. All his paper work was confiscated and only returned when he handed over
Old 04-26-2004, 05:11 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Tr
Old 04-26-2004, 05:13 AM

Originally posted by Mark Turner
Les Dibbles
Do you mean the idots in French? If so it's spelt Debilles!!
Old 04-26-2004, 05:17 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MunkeyBoy
Do you mean the idots in French?
Old 04-26-2004, 05:21 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

I've also done my fair share of driving in France.

IME there is every justification for the traps they set.

They are very frequently set up either just before or after a small village - the classic kind you bisect on a main road.

If you speed in such areas, where there are elderly residents, children and pets around, you deserve to have the book thrown at you.

I have no sympathy whatsoever.

I have NEVER seen them set up a trap in the 'middle of nowhere'. Others might have. In 25 years I haven't.

Gazzer - glad you enjoyed your trip. I have a property further over (take the Portsmouth > Caen/St Malo/Le Havre route) I need to visit later this year.

Let me know if you fancy a quick break. I usually stay overnight on the boat and the following night in a hotel before coming back.

This is not a skipping pass btw.

Old 04-26-2004, 05:22 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MunkeyBoy
Old 04-26-2004, 05:58 AM

Pete, sounds like a plan.

I thought I was not really a fan of France, summers as a kid driving across boring France for my caravaning holiday with my parents, but really yesterady it was like a breath of fresh air.

Will go for longer next time. I am reading a book on the Somme, WW1 and we went over to do a bit of grave watching and standing on fields were thousands of our boys were killed. Amazing to recount their own stories and then see the actual field or wood , which took 3 months to try and get just 30 yards across with boddies knee high. A real eye opener.

Enough of that, I thought 80mph on the A roads was quick enough, with the 10% added for good measure.

Incidently what is the spped limit on the back roads out of villages??

Quick Reply: Qui et la?