UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Questions about my trip to England

Old 01-06-2003, 01:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you get caught by the UK police and show them a foreign drivers license, you will probably get to the front of the queue for a court appearance the next day - to avoid you skipping the country without payment. In some other Euro countries they tell you to buzz off as they can't be bothered with the paperwork or dealing with a foreigner.

I was wondering what would happen to any points you might collect as an expat - since soon I have to get a Jap license as they are changing the rules on foreign drivers, so when I use rental car I will show the jap one, but in theory my UK one still is on the books..I wonder if they would still put points on that??..not going to try and find out by experiment
Old 01-06-2003, 01:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to have an international driving license which I used in the UK as my Irish one was a bit messy.

In effect, you could have 2 licenses and I don't know how the endorsements used to work.

I think the EU did away with them. , Pity..it was very useful !
Old 01-06-2003, 01:33 AM

Originally posted by PWE 896
I was done for speeding in a rental in Granada County, Mississippi (stopped by a Sheriff's vehicle and received a written ticket) and I just ignored it. Also got two FPN parking tickets for my own car in Germany, one in Heidelberg and one in Passau, and ignored both those too!
I think you're pretty safe as regards the US ticket, Pete - but you should be aware that the government recently brought into effect a piece of Euro-legislation which means that tickets issued in any EU country will be enforceable as a civil debt in any other EU country.

There are a couple of companies in London that I've read about whose entire business is to collect debts owed by UK drivers pursuant to French, German, Italian, Spanish etc etc parking fines. So, at least in theory, you could still get stung for the monetary amount of the fine (probably plus costs) although I doubt that any kind of Euro equivalent to points on the licence would be enforceable over here.
Old 01-06-2003, 01:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Turner
[B]I think you're pretty safe as regards the US ticket, Pete - but you should be aware that the government recently brought into effect a piece of Euro-legislation which means that tickets issued in any EU country will be enforceable as a civil debt in any other EU country.
Old 01-06-2003, 01:47 AM

Originally posted by PWE 896
So to them (and all Eurocrats)

Amen to that!
Old 01-06-2003, 08:42 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for all your help chaps! I look forward to visiting when I over next month.
Asif
PS-IanL-you have a PM
Old 01-06-2003, 10:40 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Turner
[B]
I think you're pretty safe as regards the US ticket, Pete - but you should be aware that the government recently brought into effect a piece of Euro-legislation which means that tickets issued in any EU country will be enforceable as a civil debt in any other EU country.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:45 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by StevenM
[B]
I think that the M11 has more speed cameras than any other road in the country
Old 01-06-2003, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Theres also a Black BMW 3 series which does M1 out of the Junc 8 Police hut - seen him on his way down to the bottom of the M1
Old 01-06-2003, 11:02 AM

Now lets not forget the Red Porsche which cruises around junctions 2 to 8 on the M25 ....... my cousin saw it a few weeks ago.

I think the Spanish have it right .... this summer I got 2 parking tickets ..... I had two options:-

(1) Accept the fine and supposedly pay it

(2) Simply use the envelope provided and pay the original parking fee

Nice huh ........ !!!!!! I took option 2 and paid the parking fee.

Quick Reply: Questions about my trip to England