UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Questions about my trip to England

Old 01-05-2003, 03:12 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Questions about my trip to England

Hello there!

Well, It's finalized. I will be coming over the pond to visit between February 2nd and February 15th this year. I made all my bookings, and am set to go. I'm especially looking forward to driving my 1.4 rental Astra

Anyhow, my question is this....I will be doing a considerable amount of motorway driving. Last time I was home in 2000, I noted that Gatsos were found primarily in town, and on some B roads. What speed enforcement devices can I look forward to on the M25, M11, A14 and A1 in particular? Are there any at all? I'd like to get around as quickly and efficiently as possible, but don't want to shell out a ton of money on tickets! Any advice would be appreciated. Also, since 2000, what new Gatso-esque devices have authorities developed? Anything the unaware driver should consider?

As for my itinenary (sp?)....I arrive Feb 3, and will be staying in Essex till Feb 8. I pick up the Astra from Enfield on Feb 8 and drive to Peterborough Cambs, where I will stay till Feb 12. After that, I will return to Ilford, where I will stay till Feb 15. I would like to meet up with some of you S2000 owners if at all possible. Let me know what works best for everyone.

Cheers in advance!
Asif
Old 01-05-2003, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Asif,

Speed limits in road work areas are strictly enforced, especially on motorways. The M25 now has long stretches of variable speed limits. These have cameras mounted on most of the gantries over ever lane. When the limits are inactive, the cameras are set to quite a high tolerance, but are set at the limit +10% +1 mph when lower limits are in force.

Have fun when you come over, I'm sure that there will be a few up for a meet.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by VTEXTC
[B]What speed enforcement devices can I look forward to on the M25, M11, A14 and A1 in particular?
Old 01-05-2003, 10:22 PM

Have heard that some police forces actually publicise where there cameras are on their web sites - it might be worth doing a bit of homework on the web if you know which counties you'll be visiting. Have a good trip !
Old 01-05-2003, 10:32 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by W6DAN
[B]Have heard that some police forces actually publicise where there cameras are on their web sites - it might be worth doing a bit of homework on the web if you know which counties you'll be visiting.
Old 01-05-2003, 11:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Asif,

I think speed traps have been pretty much covered above - although the M25 gantry cameras appear to be set at a very high 'trip' threshold - I frequently get a taxi between home and Heathrow and the guys trundle along at 85 - 90mph the whole way (traffic premitting of course!) - I have asked the drivers about the gantry cameras and they say they never get caught. I tend to stick to just over 80mph on the M25 - no problems (yet!)

It is possible I will be in Calgary tomorrow (I will know later today) I will only be in town Wed and Thurs (fly out Fri) - but if you are about one evening, drop me a PM and I'll pop over for a beer/lemonade!

When would be best for you to meet up for a chat and a beer whilst you are in the UK?

Will see you soon (one way or another!)
Old 01-06-2003, 12:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're a "foreign" visitor to the UK in a rental vehicle, how does the FPN system work? How can they enforce payment?

I was done for speeding in a rental in Granada County, Mississippi (stopped by a Sheriff's vehicle and received a written ticket) and I just ignored it. Also got two FPN parking tickets for my own car in Germany, one in Heidelberg and one in Passau, and ignored both those too!
Old 01-06-2003, 12:41 AM

Thanks, Mike - I knew I'd seen it somewhere !
Old 01-06-2003, 12:44 AM

Shame on you Peter....Interpol are on their way
Old 01-06-2003, 01:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Shipley
Shame on you Peter....Interpol are on their way

Yes indeed - or it might of been one of Asif's chum's - he is a policeman in Calgary

Quick Reply: Questions about my trip to England