UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Question on Nuburgring

Old 07-21-2005, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GTFCTIM,Jul 21 2005, 12:19 AM
There are some bits that are where people have died
Averages about 70 fatalities a year!

Mostly bikers
Old 07-21-2005, 01:22 AM

Ground clearance is fine
Old 07-21-2005, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by GSi,Jul 21 2005, 10:02 AM
They the red bits Tim?
silly Rob. I knew a bloke who died there a few years ago..
Old 07-21-2005, 04:44 AM

Kobe, you ground straddling, undercarriage ripper!

Chris, I'm sure the car will be fine. For someone who hasn't been to the ring, my novice experince of it is that 'the map is not the reality', in other words GT4 helps a lot but the reality is still different. I remember my fist lap (after one passenger lap) I happened to be out front with the rest of the S2k posse following me on the sighting lap. It was a bewildering experience as I was trying to relate where I was to my familiarity of PG2 screens and my mental map. With all the S's behind I didn't want to drive totally like Miss Daisy as the tailback could be dangerous for other motorists but also wanted to make sure I didn't end up eating armco. I know on that lap I was on sensory overload and there were some sequences of bends where I realised that I had not looked in my mirror as I was concentrating so hard to hang on to the track. A little scary, but I obviously looked in my mirror enough to be just about safe, or maybe I was lucky...as fast cars and bikes rattled by you 50+ mph faster than you and zoom up out of nowhere from behind the many blind crests.

It is lot easier to follow, so my advice is do your first lap following a person who knows the track and is prepared to drive slowly to help you familiarise. With so many blind crests and bends it saves the old sphincter clenching muscles - mine got a good work out on that first lap!
Old 07-21-2005, 09:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dws2000,Jul 21 2005, 09:44 PM
Kobe, you ground straddling, undercarriage ripper!
yep.. had to have the car brought home on a PS2 flatbed
Old 07-21-2005, 10:18 AM

There are two important things to remember about Karussel AFAIC:

1) Get your entry point right. There is an obvious change of surface material at the entry to the corner. Dive down using this and try and get your inside wheel onto or near the flat centre section. If you miss the smooth "lead-in" surface, you might end up bouncing over the rougher stuff. Ifs not difficult - just look out for the change-over.

2) Don't try to accelerate too hard while in the Karussel. Unless are lined up for the exit, keep the throttle moderated. There are sufficient G's already building for you to be flung into the trees if the arse kicks out because you've got a heavy right foot.

I'll be there in two weekends time (yeehaa) and will try and get someone to get some more shots of me in the Karussel but I do like these ones....

Ben
Old 07-21-2005, 11:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GTFCTIM,Jul 21 2005, 10:18 AM

How do you work that out from playing GT4?
You can feel the gradients, and see the flat bit at the bottom. You need to be close to the inside, but I haven't found any advantage from touching it with anything except your left front.

And from that pic it looks damn close to doing some damage!
Old 07-21-2005, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

love the first pic ben -
Old 07-22-2005, 12:39 AM

Yeah, I do too! Its my screen saver on my PC, my phone and I've had it blown up to A3 size to get framed for my lounge. Sad? Maybe!
Old 07-22-2005, 01:49 AM

I'm worried about you, Ben!!! Why have you got a picture of me as your Screen Saver, Mobile and a A3 Framed Picture?!?!

For those that don't know it, that's me in the passenger seat screaming for Ben to slow the hell down!!!!

Hehehe!!!!
Alex

Quick Reply: Question on Nuburgring