UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.
View Poll Results: A Question of Handling Preference?
mild understeer with oversteer only under provocation
16.13%
mild understeer at first to warn you..then some mild oversteer
12.90%
no understeer to speak of followed my mild oversteer
48.39%
no understeer with oversteer on demand
22.58%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

A Question of Handling Preference?

Old 04-30-2004, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Question of Handling Preference?

I was following a TT 225 this morning.......it was clear that he was suffering some understeer through the corners and having to back off...........

I was having to come off the throttle for a different reason.....mild oversteer

What was clear enough was that both cars under the conditons seemed to be more less as quick as each other.......the TT guy evidently was confident in his steed and me so in the S2000

My question is this.

What handling characteristic are people most comfortable with when pushing on to the max?
Old 04-30-2004, 01:37 AM

Where's the option for "wild uncontrollable oversteer"

I was promised that in a lot of magazine reviews, and I want to know why I haven't got it
Old 04-30-2004, 01:37 AM

No understeer required !

At speed, through a corner if you understeer the tendancy is to reduce the power - this induces oversteer, then a big fishtail, then a chat to your current insurer.

A sticky front end is best!
Old 04-30-2004, 01:42 AM

I would say a touch of understeer isn't a bad thing on the road. You can always add a little more steering lock but you don't always have the room to catch a slide. S is just about perfect though, you can have everything depending on how you drive it. If you go in hard and lift off you can get liftoff oversteer or att too much power and have power oversteer. Come in off the power slightly too hot and you'll get slight understeer until you get back on the power. Best of all worlds but means it is very sensitive to driver input and tyres/pressures wouldn't want it any other way though
Old 04-30-2004, 02:41 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I hate understeer.

Even with the EK Civic, one may back off mid corner, toeing out the RWS, to eliminate it.

One cannot with a Jazz, which is very tedious.

With the S2000, the same technique does cancel any (minimal) understeer. Fine steering adjustments can then be done with the throttle, not the wheel.

This is probably the main reason I have not tried any other tyre apart from the S-02s. The promise of less stiff sidewalls does not attract me in any way.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:13 AM

I'm a bit older than most here and I grew up in a world of RWD cars mainly, the only exception in those days being a Mini. I passed my test 1st go at 17 yrs and 2 months old, in 1965.
I have always preferred the predictability of RWD and the ability to steer the car through the rear wheels in conjunction with varying amounts of opposite lock. I have had many very powerful RWD cars through the years and there is no doubt in my mind which is preferable. I have also driven quite a few of the over-powered torque-steer specials in FWD.
The reality is that FWD cars are cheaper to produce and is why they dominate the entry market, but you will not find a single manufacturer of real quality cars using that system. They all use RWD.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:38 AM

Originally posted by Nick Graves
This is probably the main reason I have not tried any other tyre apart from the S-02s. The promise of less stiff sidewalls does not attract me in any way.
Try some bigger diameter wheels on lower profiles - you'll never look back, turn in and rear balence is excellent
Old 04-30-2004, 05:13 AM

Not many rwd alfas around at the moment but then probably couldn't describe them as a quality manufacturer!
Old 04-30-2004, 05:18 AM

drove a 3lr v6 alfa 75 for a while, last of the rwd Alfas, it was quite fun, their new mid front engined rear wheel drive chassis should make for some interesting GTas in the future
Old 04-30-2004, 07:01 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rralston

Quick Reply: A Question of Handling Preference?