UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

A Question of handling

Old 04-22-2004, 01:28 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have found the the X-brace and tower brace have improved the feeling from the front of the car ...... I also think that tyre choice also makes a big difference to the way the front feels.

The steering felt light when I had Dunlops ...... but better with the Eagles.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by rahula
So does everyone here feel the brakes need to be improved? Am I the only one who thinks that the brakes on the S are one of the best there are? The only downside are the ugly unpainted , unbranded calipers which leave a lot to be desired.

Without wanting to disagree with the majority, have you compared the brakes on the S to other road cars when track driving ? Apart from track day specials and the Caterfields the S can brake later and harder than most, and is very settled

As with the steering - if you adapt your driving style to suit, the front end will feel very solid, or try some lower profile tyres to make the turn in response a bit sharper
Old 04-22-2004, 02:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Colin Andrews
Regarding the steering, IIRC the '04 rack is solidly mounted.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:16 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ade
Old 04-22-2004, 03:35 AM
ADP

I think the brakes are sh1t hot to be honest, better than the ones on the Impreza, Im more than happy.

I also think the car is too soft, esp when pushed over undulating roads, and its too nervous in the wet for my liking.........Id love to drive one that had the suspension "sorted" ie coilovers or some such set up done by a company who know what they are doing. My scoob had eibach springs fitted - that made a whole world of difference, handled much better and braked better too due to less wallow in the suspension.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:36 AM

i'm finding the steering feel on the S a lot better than my civic type-r was - it was pretty bad for steering feel - imho the S is miles better - feels heavier than the ctr which i reckon is better...

...on a different note i discovered the "secret" compartment under the wind deflector yesterday - owned the car for almost 4 weeks and that's me just discovered this...
Old 04-22-2004, 03:41 AM

secret compartment... will have to look now, too busy driving to look behind there.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:10 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I think there is a danger of "want it all", without realising the trade offs:

If you want more forgiving handling, buy an 04.

If you want a good track car, it is likely to be hard to live with on the Yuk's roads and a tad unforgiving. Ricer kits to tend to make cars rather harsh.

I think the 01 set up is fairly extreme, but still comfortable. I tend to think there is a slight damping inadequacy at the rear, however.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:40 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by billy_i_vtec
<snip>

...on a different note i discovered the "secret" compartment under the wind deflector yesterday - owned the car for almost 4 weeks and that's me just discovered this...
Old 04-22-2004, 10:55 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by scov@home

Quick Reply: A Question of handling