UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

A Question of handling

Old 04-21-2004, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Question of handling

is there any aspect of the car's handling that you would change?

I noticed quite a lot of dive under hard braking on track....I'd prefer a stiffer standard set up out of the factory..........I think the OEM set up is too soft with more body roll that I'd like
Old 04-21-2004, 06:26 AM

Not handling, but I'd prefer a bit more steering feel. I think the original is quite a good compromise. Hard, but not too stiff for the road.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:29 AM

actually I'd forgotten about the steering.......why did they see the need to fit powersteering with 215 section rubber

throw away the powersteering and you'd get plenty of feel

The Testarossa has 245's on the front and no powersteering and it's only at parking speeds it's heavy
Old 04-21-2004, 06:36 AM

It seems to be electric power steering that's the problem these days with all cars not just Honda.

The NSX was always criticised for it's PAS, and now they've released one without PAS (TypeR) everyone loves it.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:37 AM

IMHO I think the damping is 'wrong' - probably the rebound settings. The car really gets upset when the rear wheels have to drop back onto the road surface e.g. mid-corner bumps, camber changes when leaving roundabouts (onto slip-roads ).

I can easily drive round any problems with it by being smooth keeping higher gears etc (I do know how - even if I sometimes don't ) - but its the area that I think could be better for UK road driving.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the handling is pretty OK just as it is. As for the steering the EPS I find is really good for parallel parking (it seems to have much more assistance that hydraulic systems when the car is stationary).

I still wonder about the brakes though ( I havn't really pushed the car hard over a distance yet) but I wonder if they will suffer from fading. Passengers say the brakes seem good but I'm not so sure (they don't seem to like fast road - r/about - fast road - r/about repeatedly).
Old 04-21-2004, 06:58 AM

the brakes suffer from fade if you do lots of braking from 100mph at the 100metre board...........but on the road I've never experienced any fade
Old 04-21-2004, 07:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Colin Andrews
IMHO I think the damping is 'wrong' - probably the rebound settings.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:18 AM

Regarding the steering, IIRC the '04 rack is solidly mounted. Can anyone comment if it gives more feel to the steering (and can the solid mount be retro fitted).

Craig - time to reprise the what's your 'type R' spec for the S2000 thread I think . I would go for the smallest wheels that the brake rotors will fit inside - dump the electric hood activation (and glass window), airbags, sound deadening, spare wheel (actually done that for myself ), air-con (even though everyone will put it back in ), add individual throttle bodies, direct air intake from the (carbon) bonnet, aluminium suspension arms,

270 PS, 1100kg, 10,000rpm
Old 04-21-2004, 07:24 AM

After I drove the 04 I thought it felt like there was less feedback through the front. I also felt a little more disconnected with the rear tyres, less able to feel them slip.

I did feel a lot more confident in the corners in the 04, it felt planted and secure in the corners on rougher roads unlike my 03.

Quick Reply: A Question of handling