UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Puncture! F$%@#!! But Lesson Learned!

Old 03-29-2002, 07:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Puncture! F$%@#!! But Lesson Learned!

Jan took the car to the Supermarket this morning. When she got back to the car with the shopping, the rear nearside tyre was right down. She hadn't taken the mobile phone either! Fortunately a couple stopped to help her and the guy blew up the tyre with one of those electric pumps which he carries in the car. (There ARE still some nice people in the world). She managed to drive home on what was obviously a fairly fast leaking puncture.. Fortunately No2 son turned up in the MR2 at that point so we whipped the wheel off and took it to Addison Tyre Centre, Princes End, Tipton. I cautioned the guys there about the possibility of damage to the wheel on their machine. They assured me that there's no excuse for damage to ANY wheel provided the fitter knows what he's doing, although they quite understood my concern. Anyway it turned out to be no problem, puncture repired and wheel balanced
Old 03-29-2002, 07:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to here it's worked out okay.

I carry one of those pumps - I was given one by my parents when I bought my first car. They thought it'd be much easier than a footpump given my knee.

I wonder how many peopl have used the space saver? I don't think I'd want to drive the car on it. I've been thinking about tire foam... but looking at the can's it looked to be aimed towards non performance cars - most of the cans were for tire widths up to about 155mm. If it's a resonable option, I think I'll ditch the spare - it's not the heaviest in the world, but every kilo saved helps. Anyone any thoughts on tire foam?

-Brian.
Old 03-29-2002, 07:36 AM

Brian:

No 2 son who's pretty clued up being an engineer says don't use the tyre foam. I'm not sure why, I'll ask him. The only trouble with ditching the spare is with a ripped tyre, or anything other than a slow puncture you'd be well bolloxed! I must admit I've thought about ditching the spare on weight saving grounds. You've already made big weight savings with your new exhaust.

I'm sure there's good performance gains to be made weight saving on wheels etc. before you start looking at boosting performance.
Old 03-29-2002, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought a couple of cans when I got the car - haven't had to use it yet! But I cdn't see myself potentially doing this tyre switch business at a wet roadside!
That said you are still speed limited with the foam - and apparently tyre places don't like it. Although my local Qwikfit said no problem when I asked.
Elise doesn't have a spare - so foam is standard fitting I understand.
Old 03-29-2002, 07:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Cedric. I'm curious about weight saving since I really felt I noticed the weigth savings from the Spoon manifold/exhaust as well as the power/torque imrpovements. Another S2000 owner has driven my car. The biggest change he noticed (apart from the sound ) was there's a lot more torque from quite low down - noticable from 3000rpm. So you don't have to change gear as much - the car's much happier to pull. You don't notice as much vtec shove - partly because you're already feeling it before vtec, and partly because the manifold really does smooth the torque curve out.

I've already saved some unsprung weight as well. My car's going on track a week tomorrow. I'll see how it goes then, before deciding what's next. There are some decent weigth savings on wheels... but a bigger weight saving on the wallet!

FYI:
17" Superleggera's are just under 1 kg per wheel lighter - the combination Matt (composite_guru) might be going for.
16" Spoon/Regamaster wheel. Something like 3kgs light per wheel. Oh, and around
Old 03-29-2002, 07:51 AM

Lol. The wallet ALWAYs gets lightened Brian unfortunately.
Old 03-29-2002, 08:09 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Tonky, I usually carry a 12V air pump when I travel long distances but in town and just in the outskirts, I have a can of that tire foam (called "Puncture Seal" over here) with me always. An air pump may not be enough if the puncture is "peculiar". I also have one in my wife's car as I don't want her having to be messing about with the spare in some "questionable" part of town. I get the large size because you can always only use part of the can but if you get a small one, it may not be sufficient to pump up the tire. I think the main reason some people don't recommend it is because it is toxic and may be a carcinogen. If you take such a tire to the shop you must tell them right up front that you have this stuff in the tire so the repair guy can wear gloves and a mask. Of course, then they have to dispose of the stuff accordingly. This is why they don't like this and will probably charge you extra but it's worth it for my piece mind and in the many years that this product has been around I have not had a flat ("touch wood" - ie. tapping on my head).
Mind you, the entire UK will almost fit entirely in the southern part of our province so it's not like you've got vast spaces in which to get stranded. You can always call for help.
Old 03-29-2002, 08:17 AM

xviper:

Thanks for the heads up! I see you're practical as ever!

Lo..l England is a comparitively small place but there are certain areas where to get stranded would mean MY ass was in serious danger never mind the wife's!
Old 03-29-2002, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
there are certain areas where to get stranded would mean MY ass was in serious danger never mind the wife's!

Tipton aint what it used to be
Old 03-29-2002, 08:29 AM

LOl.. I went to a house on 'The Lost City' estate in Tipton once. They had chicken wire stretched round the legs of the 'Dining Table' and were keeping a dozen chickens under there!

Quick Reply: Puncture! F$%@#!! But Lesson Learned!