UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Puchase advice-not an S2000

Old 03-04-2006, 03:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by havoc UK,Mar 4 2006, 12:03 PM
FWIW the LandCruiser outsells the Landy 90 AND 110 in Australia and the Mid-East. And it also does well in Africa.

Might be a bit better-appointed inside, but it's Toyota build (hence why the Aussies like 'em when they're 1,000 miles from nowhere), it's got a decent engine, and they're getting cheap.

Just a thought that maybe don't discount it straight away just because it 'looks nice'.

Oh - I used to work for Jag/Land Rover - on the G4 challenge it was the classic Landy's driven by pro's that got stuck, while the technology-equipped Disco's and Rangies (driven by guests!) pulled them out again! Seriously - the Land Rover off-road technology is VERY good, so a Disco-2 might also be worth a punt!

They can cope with Wadhi-bashing, so I don't think you will be dissapointed with their off road performance.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:15 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by echo66,Mar 3 2006, 11:34 PM
Problem is that i can't find any reviews of the older spec vehicles as they were revamped & relaunched last year & won a few awards.

So, anyone used one, owned one or has links to reviews of 3 yr old spec Navara's?
just a thought...

isn't the Navarra basically the same as the Ford Explorer, or some other 4x4 by a different manufacturer?

maybe the 'other' tests would be easier to come by

Navarra and Explorer look the same to me

Old 03-04-2006, 05:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by havoc UK,Mar 4 2006, 12:03 PM
FWIW the LandCruiser outsells the Landy 90 AND 110 in Australia and the Mid-East. And it also does well in Africa.

Might be a bit better-appointed inside, but it's Toyota build (hence why the Aussies like 'em when they're 1,000 miles from nowhere), it's got a decent engine, and they're getting cheap.

Just a thought that maybe don't discount it straight away just because it 'looks nice'.

Oh - I used to work for Jag/Land Rover - on the G4 challenge it was the classic Landy's driven by pro's that got stuck, while the technology-equipped Disco's and Rangies (driven by guests!) pulled them out again! Seriously - the Land Rover off-road technology is VERY good, so a Disco-2 might also be worth a punt!
Absolutely

No pretender to the off-road stuff. These are what you use in the desert because they can do it and they won't break down.

There was an article in Car about a year ago doing something called the Road of Death in Brazil I think it was. Gets it's name from the number of people that die on it per year because they slide off ovver the cliff in bad weather. Landcruiser managed it no problem
Old 03-04-2006, 08:54 AM

get a warrier they are brilliant ant even have cheap alu interier dash.
my dads company is about to invest in a few for service work for people in the sticks.

currently we have freelanders, v.good aswell
Old 03-04-2006, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input guys. Can't think of getting a Land Cruiser or anything similarly 'internally refined'. Too much potential for damage & soiling to the inside of the vehicle hence the choice of Landy 90 with full add-ons or the Navara pick up. This thing must be able to operate in all weathers on rough ground & be able to accept wet & dirty clothing, tents, bashas, various bits of equipment & for me not to have to worry about cleaning it inside every week. Use it & leave it is the requirement.

Have'nt read any good reviews of the Warrior. Total rubbish & a friend of mine who runs his own building company & used one as a company vehicle got rid of his asap.

Ed
Old 03-04-2006, 10:01 AM

The Warriors we see round here were mostly bought by posers.

I'm sure many were bought for the tax savings. Only see them around in summer!

The Navara is very good for towing with a high load rating. If I hadn't needed such heavy tow loads the Toyota would have been fine. The Isuzu Rodeo is also good and popular with folk who use them to work. The Rodeo has also won awards if you like that sort of thing.

I have Speedliner [spray on rubberised liner] in the load area. It is very prone to rusting [they all are] especially in those which have the loose plastic liner.

I only see wanabee's and hard rednecks in LR now - they need to be.

Quick survery of local privately owned utility vehicles, whose owners use them for that purpose.

Shogun
Navara
Subaru
Isuzu Trooper
Toyota Hilux
Isuzu Rodeo
Old Subaru's

Owners who drive to the shops (all the safari equipment on a couple )

RR
LR
Recent Subaru's
X5
Hummer Didn't know about this - w*nker
Land Cruiser
Disco

No surprises really.

Old 03-05-2006, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by M9 JOC,Mar 4 2006, 09:54 AM
get a warrier they are brilliant ant even have cheap alu interier dash.
my dads company is about to invest in a few for service work for people in the sticks.

currently we have freelanders, v.good aswell
Warrior's are just glorified pick-up's. Off-road ability won't touch a Landy or a Land Cruiser. Seriously.

Freelanders? Good for what? Taking the kids to school perhaps, but they've no low-range 'box and no locking diffs - all their 'off-road' ability (which is class leading, but in a class of soft-roaders) is down to electronics, not hardware.

If you're set on a Landy, then get one - it won't let you down, maintenance is simple for what it can do, there's parts galore. There's not really anything else at the 'utilitarian' end of the spectrum anymore.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, i LOVE landies & always have done but for 10k i can get an excellent spec 3 yr old Navara or a 6 yr old mid spec landy. Its annoying but i don't think i can really afford to take a chance with the older higher milage vehicle. As well as off-road humping of gear it will also have to be a reasonable tourer as i will be travelling up & down the Welsh/English border from business site to business site.

Ed
Old 03-05-2006, 03:01 AM

I've got a Grand Cherokee as you can see and I've had nowt problems withit and it has coped with some pretty arduous off roading and kept up fine with Land Cruisers, Discos, Pathfinders, Rangeys and Wranglers.

Good value for money but maybe I've been lucky with nothing going wrong with it.