UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Puchase advice-not an S2000

Old 03-03-2006, 02:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Puchase advice-not an S2000

Chaps & chapesses.

I am probably going to have to buy a 4x4 in the next few months to help me with a new business venture i have. I have a lot of experience with Landies & this is my first choice but i don't have much more than 10k to play with. Ideally i'd want a 90 with all the bits on especially a roof cage & ladder, tow pack, alloys, comfort pack etc etc. That limits me to older vehicles.

As backup choices i've looked at everything & with the fact that the thing has be a workhorse out in the hills & all weathers i don't want something that is a pretender to a 4x4 crown. So, Land Cruisers, Shoguns, FourTraks, LS200 Warriors etc etc are out. Apart from the Warrior they are too tame & domesticated. What i mean is, the vehicle i want will spend a lot of its time quite dirty both inside & out. I want to be able to leave kit & equipment in it & not have to worry about a nice neat interior getting badly soiled. This car must work for its keep.

I've been looking at Nissan Navara's & like what i've seen. Plenty of storage etc & a lot of bang for your buck sub 10k. Plenty around. Problem is that i can't find any reviews of the older spec vehicles as they were revamped & relaunched last year & won a few awards.

So, anyone used one, owned one or has links to reviews of 3 yr old spec Navara's?

Thanks

Ed
Old 03-03-2006, 02:58 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Nissan/renault build shite. That about sums it up.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use the previous model Navara daily. Previously had a LR, but too expensive, uncomfortable, poor heating, poor safety....

Navara Double cab.

Excellent in 4WD for traction and towing. In 2WD the back end can be unpredictable [heavy boots!] with the standard tyres, Dueller or something - it's too cold to check now!
30mpg max in 2WD on motorways.
Better than most pickups to drive and not so much body roll.

Comfortable, reasonable heater/aircon, radio is OK, airbags, seats need some extra lumbar padding on long journeys.
Rear seats leg room is very limited on double cab, OK for storage space but not as much as it appears.
Great for having smelly/dirty stuff in the cargo bay. The rear cargo door isn't lockable as standard. A canopy, some which can lock, keeps it in place. There are some aftermarket canopies that are reasonably secure. Ivor Williams do a cheaper canopy which can have mesh or solid rear access, I padlock mine.

I've had no problems and it is great as a working vehicle.

If you find one and want a solid canopy, I've one sitting in a shed. Unused and won't be much.

Old 03-03-2006, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by ade73,Mar 3 2006, 03:58 PM
Nissan/renault build shite. That about sums it up.
Covered in shite maybe.

Locals are happy with theirs and they give them no mercy.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:40 PM

my mate dave has one - bloody long - thats all I can say about em. Oh and stupidly cheap for what you get
Old 03-04-2006, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by echo66,Mar 3 2006, 11:34 PM
So, anyone used one, owned one or has links to reviews of 3 yr old spec Navara's?
I think Darren has one of these, or is it a Patrol Anyway, he knows his stuff on 4x4's! (ctrlaltdelboy)
Old 03-04-2006, 12:18 AM

BTW my friend also has the bolt on cab that goes over the pick up area to make it one closed unit. Here you go - one of these. Has a horizontal split tailgate so you can drop the bottom to slide stuff in or pop the top (window) to stick stuff out of.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:34 AM

Jeep?

Personally I'd go the Landy route, plenty of them and loads of bits should it go wrong etc. + load of standard accessories (roof racks, cages etc.})
Old 03-04-2006, 01:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

land rover 90's all day long, they look great all kitted out, if you need parts PM me as my father in law is a big land rover/ range rover supplier, has lots of spares and can get bits cheap.

would like to have one myself but find the driving position for me is wrong.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:03 AM

FWIW the LandCruiser outsells the Landy 90 AND 110 in Australia and the Mid-East. And it also does well in Africa.

Might be a bit better-appointed inside, but it's Toyota build (hence why the Aussies like 'em when they're 1,000 miles from nowhere), it's got a decent engine, and they're getting cheap.

Just a thought that maybe don't discount it straight away just because it 'looks nice'.

Oh - I used to work for Jag/Land Rover - on the G4 challenge it was the classic Landy's driven by pro's that got stuck, while the technology-equipped Disco's and Rangies (driven by guests!) pulled them out again! Seriously - the Land Rover off-road technology is VERY good, so a Disco-2 might also be worth a punt!

Quick Reply: Puchase advice-not an S2000