UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Protected No Claims - Any use?

Old 07-18-2002, 03:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by steve_the_greek
I don't think protected NCB is worth it, mainly because the NCB is only half the story. If you have a ding, but keep your NCB 'cos it's protected, your premium is still going to be loaded due to the fact that you've made a claim in the 'n' last years.
But then, surely, the discount is more valuable because it is a percentage of your gross premium?
Old 07-18-2002, 04:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think protected NCB is worth it, mainly because the NCB is only half the story. If you have a ding, but keep your NCB 'cos it's protected, your premium is still going to be loaded due to the fact that you've made a claim in the 'n' last years.
In todays market though its not quite as crystal as that , Tesco and Direct-line don't load the premium anywhere as near as others (thus negating NCB) for a knock, I think they accept a claim as something small and not something huge, so if you've had a knock while NCB'ed with another company and the renewal goes up you leave them with your 10 years NCB (or whatever) intact and try Tesco, I remember someone telling that tale on here a while ago.
Old 07-18-2002, 05:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just out of interest, what kind of company would be best if you get lots of points on your license , or even a ban ?

Tesco or little company ? Do they load the premium in the same way ?
Old 07-18-2002, 05:47 AM

Originally posted by PWE 896
But then, surely, the discount is more valuable because it is a percentage of your gross premium?
I guess it depends on how much extra you pay for your NCB protection and what your premium is, but I reckon based on the average person crashing every 7 years (I'm not sure if that's still accurate), it's not worth the ~
Old 07-18-2002, 05:52 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by W6DAN
Just out of interest, what kind of company would be best if you get lots of points on your license , or even a ban ?
I read in this weeks MCN that insurance companies have started putting a 30% loading on a policy for *any* speeding offence.

For a drink driving conviction the loading is only 12% because the insurance companies say that they are less likely to re-offend.

Insurance companies - cartel or crooks (or both)?

This morning I kept my speed below 135 on the way in to the office
Old 07-18-2002, 06:02 AM

StevenM, is that cumulative ie. 30% for your first 3 points, another for your next 3 etc. etc. ?

Cartel and crooks, in my book - the vultures pecking at the carcasses left by the police once they've taken their own cut ! Why it is allowed is completely beyond me, given current "real" crime figures ...

(Rant over )
Old 07-18-2002, 06:04 AM

Do the sums - how often do you claim
On the other hand, you could argue, on the law of averages, that the longer you go without claiming, the more likelihood of you needing to claim in the near future

I also hate insurance companies (their task is to bring in as much as possible whilst paying out as alittle as they can) and I'm having a fight with our PI insurers on this very matter as we speak.

The fact is that the people who don't claim cover the costs of those that do, and the excess is profit. But sometimes bad luck can bring you ill fortune and you never know whether you're going to be a non-claiming payer or a big-style multiple claimer.

For the sake of
Old 07-18-2002, 06:28 AM
tnt

Originally posted by PWE 896
On the other hand, you could argue, on the law of averages, that the longer you go without claiming, the more likelihood of you needing to claim in the near future
This is an incorrect assumption. The chance of you having an accident is the same no matter how longer you have been driving, assuming all factors remain the same (type of car, age of car, age of driver etc).

It's a bit like throwing a dice - each throw of the dice is not affected by what has come before nor does it affect what comes afterwards. There is a term for it and I can't remember it .

So, the fact you have not had an accident in 40 years does not mean that the probability of having an accident in the coming year goes up.

However, I do agree with your comments about insurance companies.
Old 07-18-2002, 06:38 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tnt
[B]This is an incorrect assumption.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:03 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PWE 896
[B]
****ing hell....

Quick Reply: Protected No Claims - Any use?