UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Propped hood for cooling, under bonnet temps

Old 09-08-2009, 01:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Propped hood for cooling, under bonnet temps

Okay we dont have really hot days in the UK, or for that matter long hot summers , but here's a technique I've seen used before I've always wondered if its works as opposed to vented hoods etc.

I know Ron was talking about this a while back, if it would be okay in the rain i dont know or really applicable for FI guys with hot under bonnet temps (if thats a problem)?

Anyhow food for thought this is on a mazda mx5

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp_0909_...prop/index.html
Old 09-08-2009, 01:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have removed the rubber strip on the scuttle after chatting to Lloyd about getting the hot air out of the engine bay.

As for the Mazda...it does work, having seen it first hand a number of times...looks a bit naff though.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:14 PM

Scuttle? wheres that located? - have you done any temperature logging, will water not get in?

Who's Lloyd?
Old 09-08-2009, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ajs_s2k,Sep 8 2009, 09:14 PM
Scuttle? wheres that located? - have you done any temperature logging, will water not get in?

Who's Lloyd?
The plastic piece beneath the windscreen. Take care if you remove yours, you need to 'push and pull' at the rubber where the plastic lugs sits inside the strip, connecting it to the scuttle.

I've not had time to take setup for temperature monitoring...

Water shouldn't get in as the scuttle design permits water to drain before it reaches the seal. I washed my S today without a single drop entering the engine bay.

Lloyd = KawasakiVTEC

Old 09-08-2009, 01:36 PM

Ahhh the whoile peice that sits on top of the aircon filter on the right? there's a rubber bit ontop of this?
Old 09-08-2009, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ajs_s2k,Sep 8 2009, 09:36 PM
Ahhh the whoile peice that sits on top of the aircon filter on the right? there's a rubber bit ontop of this?
Yes it is. No. 13 on here AJ

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/online/Page_P...e&pageName=Hood
Old 09-08-2009, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How FREAKY

Well i removed the rubber strip many weeks ago, and did not make much of a difference, although people seem to think it does, did not notice any difference

but yesterday i decided to raise the hood. I placed 2 x washers on each bolt which hold the bonnet on and raised it enough but not to noticeable to the eye

so what do i think of that, i think it was a good idea, i could defo feel hot air coming from the new gap, when the fans kicked on where i could not before

i have also today been doing some getto cooling mods, from taking air from under car and directing it behind the intercooler and onto the oil cooler and aircon rad , this worked very well on the way home tonight after a very spirited drive
Old 09-08-2009, 10:31 PM

I considered removing the rubber strip but thought that it stopped the air from engine bay being drawn into the ventilation fan, can you confirm that the inside of the car does not smell of hot engine when the fan is running
Old 09-08-2009, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by oxhouser,Sep 9 2009, 07:31 AM
I considered removing the rubber strip but thought that it stopped the air from engine bay being drawn into the ventilation fan, can you confirm that the inside of the car does not smell of hot engine when the fan is running
Good point.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:46 PM

i have not noticed any difference tbh in fuems entering

all i smell is fuel burning anyway

just removing the strip in my opinion wont do alot, well it did not for me, so if your bothered about it dont do it, i would say though raising the bonnet a 2mm and the rubber strip has done alot more for me

Quick Reply: Propped hood for cooling, under bonnet temps