UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Pro Drive - Track fun.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro Drive - Track fun.

I did a bit of a track day last week with these guys.
http://www.prodrive.com/level3.html?id=776

It was fantastic.
I had two hours in the S, 1 hour on the High speed and 1 on the skidpan.
I used about 45 minutes of each hour and my better half had the extra time – there was no extra cost for letting her drive as it was my car and there were no insurance issues.

The track was excellent. Nice and wide, plenty of run off, soft cones marking areas so spins weren’t too dangerous. Some quite technical corners, hairpins and chicanes.
My instructor was fantastic and pushed me until I span it, which was exactly what I wanted so I could find the limits of the car and my ability.
The track wasn’t 100% smooth which surprised me at first, but when I came to drive it was great to see how the car reacts to changes in surface at high speeds.
Sliding sideways out of a corner gets very different on a smooth corner compared to a corner with a change in the tarmac.

The second hour was on a skid track.
It had two parts which I went between a few times.
One was a strip the size of a regular road but tiles rather than tarmac with sprinklers, it was about 300 yards long from memory, fantastic for breaking tests, for some sideways fun and just for being able to push the car in the wet without any danger or hitting something.
It was amazing to see the difference when you slide from wet tile onto wet tarmac and the car find traction again – even when sliding sideways or backwards.

The second was a big circle of painted on slippy stuff, with sprinklers, where the car had about 1% traction and the idea was just to see how easy or hard it was to control as you slide around.
And give some experience about what it’s like when the car just loses it and you have no control.

If anyone can spare the time and cash I’d highly recommend them.
By the way, I was the ONLY person there, I had the whole track and skidpan to myself, which is pretty much standard as far as I know.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds very good.
Skid circle seems to be some acrylic material.

Thanks for posting up a review
Old 11-02-2009, 02:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by m1bjr,Nov 2 2009, 11:44 AM
Skid circle seems to be some acrylic material.
Possible.
All I know for sure is that it's a 'painted on substance' and it's as slippery as an eel in KY jelly.