UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Potential Prob - AFM & Oiled Air Filters

Old 10-23-2003, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential Prob - AFM & Oiled Air Filters

Am about to fit the 4IG CAI and the air filter is a wet type (oiled) K&N. My concern is that some of the oil may contaminate the air flow meter. I know that this was a problem on my last car and was advised only to use non oiled filters.

Thoughts
Old 10-23-2003, 01:23 PM

Blurter..... I think you might have a valid point assuming the S has a hot wire AFM. I read this on the Nissan 200 site............

tbh the K&N is a bad filter in the sense that it's oil coated to attract dust and dirt particles and then it traps them in the fins, as time goes by this restricts the flows considerably, hence the reason to remove it, wash it and then coat it again in the oil. The main problem though is the MAFS (Mass Air Flow Sensor, the thing that measures the air coming in to the engine, sends that info to the ECU, which decides how much fuel to inject). It basically clogs it and can kill it over time, but before that, it'll most liekley give false readings to some degree!

--------------------------------------------
At the end of the day it might be OK if it's not over oiled. The best way I have found to clean K&N air filters BTW is to pour a small amount of degreaser into a tray and roll the filter in the degreaser. This ensures that the inside of the filter does not get contaminated.

Pete R
Old 10-23-2003, 01:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The F20C uses a MAP sensor, not a hot-wire MAF. There have been some problems (on some Impreza's that I know of) with oiled filters, and hot wire MAF sensors.

Don't worry about it downstream of the sensor either. Like all modern emissions equipped engines, the F20C vents crankcase vapour with traces of engine oil etc, back into the intake manifold to burn it off. A tiny amount of K&N oil won't cause any problems.

One thing. My current K&N Cleaning/Oiling kit is an aerosol, rather than a hand-pumped spray. I've found it's much easier to apply just the right amount of oil without any pooling, with the aerosol.

-Brian.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by Blurter
Am about to fit the 4IG CAI and the air filter is a wet type (oiled) K&N. My concern is that some of the oil may contaminate the air flow meter. I know that this was a problem on my last car and was advised only to use non oiled filters.
I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about Dave - but I am looking forward to seeing it on 8th November
Old 10-24-2003, 12:06 AM

Originally posted by Blurter

Thoughts
Best you take it easy at Heyford tomorrow then
Old 10-24-2003, 12:34 AM

I'm fitting it on Monday Mike

Heading down to Oxford this affi, read for the course at Hayford

Cya 2moz - Dave