UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Possibly becoming an owner again

Old 09-06-2012, 08:32 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

I've made a spreadsheet to work out how much extra/less a beater costs. Shout if you want a copy. My mundano doesn't quite pay for itself in terms of tyre and petrol savings, but by the time you take depreciation into account, and the fact the S might not like life past 150k miles, I think it does. I only do 15-20k miles a year, 5-10k business/commuting miles. I do about 5k a year in the S now, which makes it a keeper for life. Plus it's so much more pleasurable when I get to drive it!
Old 09-06-2012, 10:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do 450ish miles a week in mine, had it 4 years and have stuck 100k miles on it since I've had it.

It's worth every penny I spend on fuel, tyres, consumables and servicing to arrive at work in a happy mood and to enjoy the drive home again every day.

I could buy a dull oil burning metal box and be just as glum looking as the rest of the commuters on my route and halve my costs but I don't want to.

I'm lucky enough to be in a position where I can afford to do that so its an easy decision for me I suppose. If my circumstances were different then I might not have that luxury but for me, being happy is worth the expense. Then again, I don't drink and have no social life so I make savings in other areas

On dry days I can't wait to set off in the mornings so get to work early and enjoy the lack of traffic. On sunny days when the traffic is at a standstill on the motorway, everyone around me is getting stressed out while I enjoy getting a tan.

I have the top down on mine at every possible opportunity, summer or winter.

Common sense is for old people.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:54 AM

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryB
I do 450ish miles a week in mine, had it 4 years and have stuck 100k miles on it since I've had it.

It's worth every penny I spend on fuel, tyres, consumables and servicing to arrive at work in a happy mood and to enjoy the drive home again every day.

I could buy a dull oil burning metal box and be just as glum looking as the rest of the commuters on my route and halve my costs but I don't want to.

I'm lucky enough to be in a position where I can afford to do that so its an easy decision for me I suppose. If my circumstances were different then I might not have that luxury but for me, being happy is worth the expense. Then again, I don't drink and have no social life so I make savings in other areas

On dry days I can't wait to set off in the mornings so get to work early and enjoy the lack of traffic. On sunny days when the traffic is at a standstill on the motorway, everyone around me is getting stressed out while I enjoy getting a tan.

I have the top down on mine at every possible opportunity, summer or winter.

Common sense is for old people.
Gary.... you earn far too much any jobs at your place
Old 09-06-2012, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much do you young chaps spend on a saturday night out?

I do all my own servicing and maintenance to keep the running costs down. Luckily I also really enjoy beans on toast

It's all just a question of priorities really.

Although I do have 2 teenage sons social lives and mobile bills to fund....