UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Possibly becoming an owner again

Old 09-05-2012, 04:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly becoming an owner again

So I sold my old MY99 over a year ago now as I didn't really use it and couldn't justify the insurance costs for 2 days of driving to work.

However circumstances have changed and I will now be potentially doing 80 miles a day, (M11/M25). Immediately I thought I'm buying another S, but then the b*****d known as common sense kicked in and said go for a diesel luxobarge.

I am really torn, I dont want to be spending £100 a week getting to work and back but I really do want an S.

Anyone care to help sway me ? (preferably towards the S)
Old 09-05-2012, 04:39 AM

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

You have to really, REALLY want one to afford 80 miles a day in one. Lots of owners do it, Gary does plenty of miles in his for example. I was doing 60 miles a day until I got sick of the petrol bills, young family to feed etc.. and opted to sell for a TDi 130 as my old barge (which has saved me about £40 a week in fuel, or something like that!) and changed the wife's car for a newer 09 Focus.
I think S's are better as weekenders but certainly liveable as DD'ers. 80 miles a day though... well paid and deep pockets to fuel it!
Old 09-05-2012, 04:46 AM

Petrol/tax/insurance isn't going to get any cheaper either!
Old 09-05-2012, 04:51 AM

If you want one get one, i do 80+ miles a day in mine and bloody love it. Sod the fuel costs you can still get 30mpg out of it on a good run.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends on what you're used to. Personally I wouldn't do 80 miles a day in the S2000, nothing to do with the costs, but to do with the comfort, S2000 is tiresome to drive any distance unless on a proper blast where the fun out weighs the downsides. The S2000 is cramped, wind noise, tyre noise, high revs, crap stereo..... There are better cars for the job.. i.e. the Golf.

If you insist on a two seater convertible for the 80 mile commute then look for a better all rounder like the Z4 3.0. I easily got 35mpg out of mine on the motorway at 70mph.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:29 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I must be 'arder than a coffin nail then! I don't think my S is that bad on a long journey.

Not much else I'd rather do my annual 3000 mile euro trip in!
Old 09-05-2012, 06:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoVTEC
Not much else I'd rather do my annual 3000 mile euro trip in!
That's different though, that's an adventure, not a mundane commute
Old 09-05-2012, 06:54 AM

The trouble is that if in your heart you long for a car you will not be happy with something else and you will not keep it long. If you want something a little more practical and marginally cheaper to run then I recommend a DC5 Integra Type R. I used to get about 39 mpg on my daily 100 mile commute. I car not any longer however as I only do 25 miles a week! (I cycle to work 4/5 days).
Old 09-05-2012, 06:58 AM

I stopped using mine to commute as soon as I went from 10 miles each way to 70 miles each way. Partly because I don't want to be using 15 litres of fuel per day, and partly because I don't want it to be run into.

Currently got a company car - cheapo diesel astra thing because I didn't want to spend more than I had to just to get to and from work when I have a couple of nice cars at home for hoons / long trips.

However - I find the Astra utterly soul destroying so in two years time when I give the keys back, I plan to replace it with a CLS / 6 series.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:15 AM

I used to do 60 miles per day in mine. Moved house an got a garage and thought that I should look after th S a bit so got a beater, literally an old Corsa. Cost me £100 to insure and sod all in running costs, meaning that the S2000 remained a joy at weekends and justifiable despite the low useage.

Not everyone's cup of tea though as some folks don't like to be seen driving a piece of crap, but I didn't care, actually got quite attached the old Corsa, was a challenge to carry speed though roundabouts etc.

S is getting sold now though due to ssecond child coming and I need the cash

But in conclusion unless you can't actually afford it, go for it. It's worth it just for the odd occasion when you can really open it up on the way home.

Quick Reply: Possibly becoming an owner again