UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

possible oil or cct problem

Old 02-14-2009, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible oil or cct problem

Hi all My 83k mile 1999 s2k seems to have developed a rattly buzz when the engine is put under load but as it gets to the desired speed the noise disapears.

Having read a couple of threads and done some searching I think the cct may be playing up as after a long quick run the problem seems to go away then re appears if pootling along.

I did have a problem with a missing oil filler cap a while ago but the level never dropped below 3/4 .

When the car was serviced by tgm they did tell me that the oil hadnt been changed for a while proir to that service so I'm wondering......

As the cct is oil fed at high rpms could it be loosing pressure due to sludgy oil deposits ( tgm didn't have time to flush the engine through when they did the oil change) or is my cct on the way out and its time for a new one.

Also might using one of the fill run and flush products then changing oil and filter improve things and if so what grade of oil, I've seen 0w 40 mentioned but I'm not sure if a thicker or thinner viscosity oil will help matters.

the car seems fine on power and there are no nasty noises high in the rpm range and the noise is auidable when the engine is revved with no noise whilst sat inside the car but almost undetectable if listening with the bonnet open, I have also heard there is a screw that can come loose which rattles and gives the same noise which is near or under the bulkhead.

any pics thread links greatly apreciated, also can the cct be done as a diy job or is it best to take it to smwhere like tgm or my local newbury honda ?
Old 02-14-2009, 09:11 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Quite likely to be a heatshield or something (cat or mainfold maybe)

When you say the cct, do you mean the TCT (timin chain tensioner?)

It's a DIY job to change that one. It normally causes a rattle at idle when buggered though.

I wouldn't bother with an oil flush, just a new filter and oil spec as per the manual. See the FAQ for oil choice, but 5w 40 is quite popular.

HTH!
Old 02-14-2009, 09:20 AM

Thanks I always call them cam chain tensioner but I supose timing chain tensioner is more apt.

will have a rummage around for loose screws/ bolts on the heat shield itsems to do it more under load and the noise is mutch more auidable in the car so I'm hopeing its just somthing loose down there.

whats a good oil to get brand wise as I've had trouble with bell ray loosing viscosity when hot in a motorbike I owend previously causing it to blow past thr rings and smoke badly, when I changed the oil for morris of the same grade the problem went away
Old 02-14-2009, 09:43 AM
MB

Castrol Edge / Motul are good options!

Have a look at some of the recent threads as oil is discussed on a daily basis
Old 02-14-2009, 09:43 AM

time for a search then
Old 02-15-2009, 12:18 PM

right after having a good look under the bonnet and around the back of the engine near the bulkhead I cant find any loose screws or bolts and the vibrating buzzing noise is only auiadable inside the car and more so if the engine is under load so I'm thinking a slightly loose heat shield or somthing simular.

I'll pop the s on my ramps tomorow and have a look if I get the chance.

the noise dosent seem to change frequency with engine rpm although as I dont know when the tct was last changed I'm concidering removing it inspecting and replacing if it appears to be worn or faulty so....

can the tct be removed and refitted without affecting the timing if the engine is not started or turned over when the tct is out, is the tct a stripable item or will some small yet vital part drop off into the bottom of the engine to do untold damage.

I did see a thread on this with pics but alas my search powers are rubbish
Old 02-15-2009, 12:56 PM
MB

Here's a sound clip:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=544760

And a DIY guide:
http://www.superhonda.com/forum/f32/diy-ti...install-307198/

Look under the car around the cat for rattling shields!
Old 02-15-2009, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mobile chicane,Feb 15 2009, 09:18 PM
the vibrating buzzing noise is only auiadable inside the car and more so if the engine is under load so I'm thinking a slightly loose heat shield or somthing simular.
You sure it's the engine and not the clutch?
Old 02-15-2009, 01:37 PM
MB

Or the gearknob.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I get a buzz from the nut behind the wheel sometimes.
Still there after two years so it must be a good thing?

Quick Reply: possible oil or cct problem