UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Possible new S2k owner..

Old 03-06-2007, 01:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible new S2k owner..

Hi;

Been browsing the forum last few days to look at some S2000 info. Seems a very good site

Just a few question regards S2000 ownership, but i will give you a bit of info about myself first to see wether S2000 is practical choice

Firstly im final year student, though im classed as mature student age 25 (26 in April). I have had a diesel for the last 4 years as driving to University is about 50 mile round trip, plus i have freinds around the country so i go to see them quite a bit. However i used ot drive a 306 TD and i had a Cosworth in the garage for the summer months. I sold the Cosworth after 6 years of ownership as i had enough. I also sold the 306TD and with the money i bought a 2002 BMW 330d sport. Fantastic car and loved every minute of it shame it went now after 6 months of ownership. I sold this car as its a lot of month tied up when im in uni and really would like a house a year after starting work.

However heres the crunch factor! After 1 and half months of looking for a sensible car for 6.5k Diesel agian i have been frustrated in the lack of cars at sensible money for what i want... The ones i want seem to have been sold lol, some fast people out there!

SO im thinking shall i get a S2000 now? As soon i will finish uni after April as i will only becoming for exams. So mileage will become less (though depends where i get a job) And then get a S2000 now and for the summer which i can sell come end of August and then get a sensible car?

Question is about the S2000's are they nice for everyday use? or can they get a bit tediuos to drive day in day out? I really fancy roof down fun with that wonderful engine this summer etc. What are they like on Fuel? etc Would you have one as your only car?

Think i can get a UK car 55k 2001 Y with FHSH for
Old 03-06-2007, 01:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mines my only car, I've done 32000 miles in 2 years. It's never put a foot wrong, I don't find it tiresome. And drive it all year around.

10.5k for a 2001 Y is reasonable, depends on condition. You won't lose much per year on it.

BUT take a test drive, and rag it. It's a marmite car.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:50 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Rhys - see the south wales coast meet on 1st April in the meets forum

As an every day car I have found it just fine 140k since Oct 2002 for me

You ought to check out insurance before you go any further, that may be the deciding factor at your age
Old 03-06-2007, 01:52 AM

Yep and stop fixating about Summer - I'm already driving around with the roof down
Old 03-06-2007, 01:53 AM

I'm picking mine up Saturday, with the intention of using it as a daily driver.

I am coming from a VX220 (fun car) and a Micra160sr (daily driver), so looking to combine the fun and daily driver into one.... the S

I will be doing between 20k and 30k a year I would have thought.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:54 AM

Thanks for comment, already check insurance. And its extra 140 on my current policy till end of August so thats fine as i plan to sell it after that unless i fall in love and cant bare to take myself apart from it lol.

140k wow

Ah a day before my Birthday! lol I will try and pop down to that, though i would hopefully have a new car by then...
Old 03-06-2007, 01:57 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Pop down WITH the car then
Old 03-06-2007, 03:11 AM

lol, if i got one i deffinatley will

What is deprectiation like on the cars? I need to justify it to my head somehow lol
Old 03-06-2007, 03:23 AM

Hi Rhys,
I use the S as my daily driver is a great car works well in summer and in winter. Does not use that much fuel either tbh if you drive it normally.

Depreciation is very good on S2000's one of the reason i bought one.

I think your main concern should be can I live with two seats...

Forget about popping out in three's and going to B&Q for anything more than a drill bit or packing large suitcases is not possible/practical.
That said the boot on the S is pretty big for a car of its type and soft
bags it will be ok.

Id still be lost without my other car which is a cheapo hatchback.

Oh and you wont want to get rid of it once bought!

Sniper.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:34 AM

Yeah the whole 2 seats can be a bit of bad point for an everyday car. Though i very rarly take more than a passenger in the car.

SO what would you say is a good deal for a 2001 Y plate with mid 50's on the clock? With FHSH of course

Quick Reply: Possible new S2k owner..