UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

possible new owner

Old 08-26-2014, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible new owner

Hey there people.

I currently drive a Del Sol vti and I in two minds on whether to bring that to the car I want it to be ie put the engine from ab Integra type r into it. The more I think about it I may be best using the money that I will save up for an engine and get the better car in this instance the S2000 (seems like the most suitable step up haha).

After reading up on them I notice that there's two different ones the earlier ap1 and the later ap2. I was wondering if the ap1 is still a decent car as I'm not sure budget could stretch to the later model ones. I reckon at the moment my two choices is to engine swap the del sol or go for an ap1. It will be the start of next year ill go through with on or the other.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:11 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

Have a good read through the FAQ to find out all the differences between all the model years, and you'll also find out that the AP2 (which has a 2.2L) was never available in the UK. The cosmetic facelift (and other updates) associated with the release of the AP2 in other countries was applied in the UK though.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:12 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Not done too much reading then - if you are in the UK then we only have the AP1 - the earlier prefacelift versions are fine and a lot of people prefer their setup to the softer facelift versions. Have a check of the FAQ for differences in each set of model years (MY). If you are on a budget, the S2000 for upgrade/OEM parts isn't exactly cheap so you might be better off building your CR-X up to your exact tastes rather than scraping along with a budget S2000 that you can't do anything with.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:25 AM
CDP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Izanagi_Ghost
Hey there people.

I currently drive a Del Sol vti and I in two minds on whether to bring that to the car I want it to be ie put the engine from ab Integra type r into it. The more I think about it I may be best using the money that I will save up for an engine and get the better car in this instance the S2000 (seems like the most suitable step up haha).

After reading up on them I notice that there's two different ones the earlier ap1 and the later ap2. I was wondering if the ap1 is still a decent car as I'm not sure budget could stretch to the later model ones. I reckon at the moment my two choices is to engine swap the del sol or go for an ap1. It will be the start of next year ill go through with on or the other.
I also had a CRX Del Sol SiR with the B16a DOHC lump which came with loads of JDM goodies. I had owned my CRX for 7 years and was very attached to it. I spent loads on it, full respray, custom decat exhaust, fitted S2000 seats, etc etc etc. At the end of the day, no matter what size engine you put it, it will NEVER be as good as the S2000. All I can say is, go for it. You will not look back. I've owned both versions of the S2000 and there's not much between them really, if anything the pre-facelift version was a little bit more of a "raw" driving experience. The facelift is a bit more forgiving.

To clear up any confusion, we only have the AP1 chassis code in the UK. Second generation (2004–2009) is referred to as the facelift version (AP2 outside Europe).

The main differences between the 2 versions (from wiki);

The new model introduced 17 in (43 cm) wheels and Bridgestone RE-050 tires along with a retuned suspension to reduce oversteer. The spring rates and shock absorber damping were altered and the suspension geometry modified to improve stability by reducing toe-in changes under cornering loads. In the gearbox the brass synchronizers were replaced with carbon fiber. In addition, cosmetic changes were made to the exterior with new front and rear bumpers, revised headlight assemblies, new LED tail-lights, and oval-tipped exhausts. Although all the cosmetic, suspension and most drivetrain upgrades were included the European S2000 never had the option of the 2.2L engine, hence it still designated as an AP1.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies.
Yeah I haven't done loads of reading to be honest. That's why I joined to read up whilst I save the pennies and make an informed decision on what to do.

BenRNBP- yeah that's a factor ive thought about is that I wouldn't really be able to afford upgrade and modify it mote of just a buy it and enjoy it as is sort of affair. Ive already put a fair bit of money into the sol such as the usual bolt ons, lightweight flywheels, braces all round. As you said it will likely cost more to do that stuff to the s2000.

CDP- Thanks for clearing stuff up. Yeah I'm pretty attached the the sol also so it would need to be something else special to takes its place if it were to go.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:06 AM
CDP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, don't be scared off by cat D or cat C repaired cars. My pre-facelift was a cat D and my current 2004 facelift is a cat C. If the previous owner cannot prove the previous damage by way of pictures and or receipts from the repairer then do make sure you get a full inspection done. There are alot of accident damaged one about as people seem to think they can just jump into them and turn into 90 degree bends at whatever speed they like! However, always do an HPI check, they can be done by texting the reg to a number and getting back the basic details for as little as £2.95 so it's well worth doing. Even if the ad doesn't mention any accident damage, and sometimes even when it does. I remember seeing a cat D one advertised before and I performed an HPI just to be sure. It came back as also being previously cat C recorded some years earlier! The cat D was from the second time it was crashed. Very sneaky.

Also ask if the GEO has been done as it can be expensive to sort out if it hasn't. You'll find that info in the FAQ.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome.

Check out the link in my signature.