UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Poss new owner - what have I done!

Old 08-04-2010, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus,Aug 3 2010, 10:04 PM
No advanced driving course teaches you how to deal with other muppets on the road, especially when you actually employ these advanced techniques.

'...ok, checked road ahead, well in engine power band, begin overtaking manouver, OH SH!T, he has just pulled out to block me!!!'

Never seen that scenario taught anywhere.
But you are taught how to deal with that situation if it should arise
Old 08-04-2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by keith2.2,Aug 4 2010, 06:48 PM
Remove dead ground
Spot opportunity
Pull onto opposite side of the road
Select gear*
Accelerate past

ie it should be more of a box than an arc when viewed above.

(*Starred because I argued that I'd rather have the gear already selected when I pull out to minimise time on the opposite side of the road - instructor said fine)
Old 08-04-2010, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus,Aug 3 2010, 10:04 PM
No advanced driving course teaches you how to deal with other muppets on the road, especially when you actually employ these advanced techniques.

'...ok, checked road ahead, well in engine power band, begin overtaking manouver, OH SH!T, he has just pulled out to block me!!!'

Never seen that scenario taught anywhere.

As such, they are next to pointless.

What we actually all need is fsuckwit tolerance courses.
Which AD courses have you attended?
Old 08-04-2010, 12:24 PM

I'm with Integra Man ... Written off in part by chav idiots, a manufacturer with the build quality and customer care of Ratners ... give it a couple of years and this relatively low production sports car will make a 250 GTO positively common!!!

On the assumption I don't end up falling into camp one in which case I'll then quietly! Then those that are left will get a nice little nestegg
Old 08-04-2010, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle,Aug 4 2010, 07:56 PM
Which AD courses have you attended?
My step dad has sneaked me on a number of courses that students of his were doing - he's a Class 1 instructor for Cheshire Fire Service.

Names of the courses? No idea. Like I said, officially, I wasn't there.

Hardest thing I ever did? Commentary. Makes 4 wheel drifts look easy (although on the last drift day, I was combining commentry with 4 wheel drifting and new methods when out with the instructor )

However, everytime I drive in the car with him, it's essentially another lesson.

And whilst he is a member of the IAM, he laughs at their 'teachings' regularly.

Of course, he knows what i'm like too
Old 08-04-2010, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by keith2.2,Aug 4 2010, 06:48 PM
Assume nobody else can drive, and they everyone is out to get you and you'll have most bases covered.
Assuming this means you would never get in a car, let alone attempt an overtake.

Of course what follows all statements like yours is:

'within the limits of practicability'.

I'm still adamant about the fsuckwit tolerance though.

When you look ahead, plan, signal, position, manouver in a smooth and timely manner when everyone else doesn't, does it not aggrevate you?

Do you not start to wonder 'Why the hell am I driving correctly, when everyone else isn't? And whilst i'm sitting here doing 42 mph in a 60 zone, have the limits of practicability now become so low, you cannot actually overtake?'

Of course, if you followed the rules when overtaking, you'd sound the horn first.

Good luck with that one

Don't get me wrong, driver training for the Emergency Services is spot on and absolutely essential.

The main difference being that when you have 'Blues and Twos', this snaps people back into the realm of driving again, and they respond by getting out of your way.

But in your sportscar, you are a 'flash bstard/yuppie pr1ck/t0sser/insert expletive here etc

This causes people to hinder you, especially people in sub 3 year old diesels who have 350 Top Gear Torques and can drive like M. Schumacher

Fsuckwit tolerance and you can just carry on, unaffected
Driver training, you get frustrated and become worse than the idiot infront.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:33 AM

Completely understand, and to a large extent agree, matey.

It still annoys me when I see tards driving, of course it does. I guess I'm just pretty easy going so don't tend to get worked up anyway.

The driver training side of course has pros and cons. You mention sounding the horn or flashing before overtaking - as your comment, I can't imagine doing that and NOT getting the finger.

My biggest concern - "you pay road tax, so why only use half of the road?" - hanging way out to the right on a left hand bend, moving about to get the best view when you're behind someone.

I know full well that most of the people I know would see that as "what's this tosser in the convertible sports car doing weaving about behind me?" and would proceed to make it as difficult as poss to overtake (slow through bends, fast on straights etc).

I therefore take the option of hanging back a good distance when I know there's not going to be anything, and just try to plan even further ahead.

The "try not to p*ss people off" mantra is something I find especially true around home town / workplace, in a distinctive car with a private plate.

My commute to work is a lot more sedate now I fulfil the above criteria, than when I had a 20 min commute down the A1 in a silver 3-series.

Anyway, back on topic - the guy is a plonker.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:07 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc,Aug 4 2010, 12:46 PM
How about one of these if the guy wants a convertable? Excelent training for an S2000, and won't impact on insurance for the rest of us.

that rocks.. what's the 0-60?

i could use one of them across london... pavement legal
Old 08-05-2010, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2,Aug 5 2010, 01:07 AM
that rocks.. what's the 0-60?

i could use one of them across london... pavement legal
About 15 seconds.

(0-60metres)