UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Polish/wax

Old 07-03-2003, 02:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polish/wax

Right........

I am a regular Autoglym user and have been reasonably happy with the results to date.

However.........having seen some examples of Zaino/Zymol use recently I think I could do better!. Also......I'm getting really annoyed with the white residue that Autoglym leaves behind in nooks and crannies.

Not sure what the difference is between Zaino and Zymol. My understanding is that Zaino is harder to order (US only whereas Zymol can be UK sourced) but that it is marginally better (recent head to head done in the US and published on the wash and wax forum?).

Based on what I've seen, Zaino looks to be the best option?. Next question is how to get it. I think there is a regular group buy (Trypod?) for this but if you wanted to source independantly how do you do it?.

Also......any advice on what product/s I would need?. I like my car to be clean but am not obsessive!.

Thoughts from the cleaning experts out there much appreciated!.

Ta,

Neil
Old 07-03-2003, 02:41 AM

A starter I would buy the following:

1 ZFX
1 Z2
1 Z5
2 Z6
1 claybar
1 Z7
1 leather conditioner

If you don't like polishing your car everytime you wash - thisis the stuff for you. The very first application will most probably takle you about a day and a half. But after that it's plain sailing.

I wash my car every two months and it's BLACK. After every drive I lightly dust the car down with a large microfibre towel which is then put straight into the wash! After you wash it you can just apply some Z6 gloss enhancer (wipe on wipe off) that takes around 15 mins - makes the car look all polished again with a deep deep gloss.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:42 AM

Horses for courses, Neil. Zaino adherents will swear blind that "their" product is better. Zymol disciples will exhort the merits of "their" product. I suspect that the difference in the results between the two isn't particularly marked - either are capable of giving you a great-looking mirror-finish car, if you're prepared to invest the required amounts of elbow grease

Zaino is a polish whereas Zymol is a wax. I suppose that one factor which might make you lean in favour of Zaino is that it doesn't leave any residue, like AutoGlym does, and like Zymol can do, if you get wax into nooks and crannies. Personally, as a Zymol user, I've not really found that to be a problem.

If you go back and look at one of Trypod's group buy threads, there are detailed instructions set out there as to what you would need to buy and how to apply it to get best results.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:50 AM

Thanks for the advice folks!. Where can you buy Zaino if you do not go via the GB?.

A day and a half???!!!........blimey!. My other half already thinks I'm mad when I spend a few hours Autoglyming!!!.

Any other thoughts from Zaino/Zymol users?.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:52 AM

Originally posted by Mark Turner
Horses for courses, Neil. Zaino adherents will swear blind that "their" product is better. Zymol disciples will exhort the merits of "their" product. I suspect that the difference in the results between the two isn't particularly marked - either are capable of giving you a great-looking mirror-finish car, if you're prepared to invest the required amounts of elbow grease

Zaino is a polish whereas Zymol is a wax. I suppose that one factor which might make you learn in favour of Zaino is that it doesn't leave any residue, like AutoGlym does, and like Zymol can do, if you get wax into nooks and crannies. Personally, as a Zymol user, I've not really found that to be a problem.

If you go back and look at one of Trypod's group buy threads, there are detailed instructions set out there as to what you would need to buy and how to apply it to get best results.

I agree with MT but there is one other advantage over Zymol.

Longevity - a test was conducted on the wax and wash forums and they concluded that Zaino lasted up to 3 months whereas Zymol's shine started to wither after 2 weeks.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:54 AM

http://www.nsxsc.com/nsexcitement/waxtest.html

Click on the link - it's a great read and gives the pros and cons of most major waxes / polishes.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:56 AM

I can't say that my own experience tallies with that referred to by AB - my car is still as shiny (when washed! ) now as when it got its last major Zymol seeing-to around 3 months back. I just top it up with the occasional rub down with Zymol Field Glaze (for use between "proper" waxings).

But that's it from me! I am NOT going to get drawn any further into these Zymol -v- Zaino wranglings!

EDIT: Neil, you can order Zaino directly from the German supplier or from the US, but the problem IIRC when I looked into was that neither would let you make credit card payments online. So, I guess you will have to either call them and see whether they would take a card payment over the phone, or you will have to wire the money to them or get a $/Eur money order drawn up. Too much faff for my liking - if you're gonna go Zaino, leave all the admin headache stuff to Trypod and just jump onto his GB
Old 07-03-2003, 03:00 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Turner
[B]I can't say that my own experience tallies with that referred to by AB - my car is still as shiny (when washed! ) now as when it got its last major Zymol seeing-to around 3 months back. I just top it up with the occasional rub down with Zymol Field Glaze (for use between "proper" waxings).
Old 07-03-2003, 03:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Neil
[B]

However.........having seen some examples of Zaino/Zymol use recently I think I could do better!.
Old 07-03-2003, 04:06 AM

Have any of you guys tried the Swissol stuff?

I haven't so can't comment, but its reputation is same results as Zymol but easier to use. Both are obscenely expensive

I have been using Autoglym for years, but do find the 'Extra Gloss Protection' stuff a real pain to wipe off - sometimes I have to completely redo the boot as it leaves it so smeary. So I was thinking of a change........would a Boxster owning scally be allowed into this Group Buy?

Simon

Quick Reply: Polish/wax