UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Polish Question

Old 07-17-2004, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polish Question

I've started using this stuff everytime i clean the car because:

- the results are pretty good given the minimal effort involved
- i can't really justify spending 4 hours cleaning and polishing my car every week i.e. assuming i were to use a high end polish.

So my question is, will this stuff do an damage to the car in the long run for example dull the paint?
Old 07-17-2004, 12:14 AM

I have not used this product but I doubt any major company would release something onto the market which would dull the paintowrk. If you are happy with the results then use it. You can also try P21S wax (award winner and also #2 in the guru test results) and after washing and drying your car will take about 15 mins to apply and 10 mins to remove. You only need to do this every month or so.
Old 07-17-2004, 12:18 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rahula,Jul 17 2004, 08:14 AM
You only need to do this every month or so.
It has been at least 2 months since I have polished the car due to the weather.

In June it was too hot and recently it has rained most weekends.

If it stays dry for the next hour or so I pan to give it a coat of P21S
Old 07-17-2004, 12:22 AM

Sorry to butt in

On the contrary using a "high end Polish" means less work ! with the P21S polish & wax you only need to clean the paintwork once a year then simply do a quick wax over every 8-12 weeks. In between simply wash with a non detergent shampoo that doesn't strip off the wax.

ALL waxes and polishes "dry out" over a few weeks. Thus the cheaper the polish the shorter it lasts and thats why you have to keep polishing every week. A lot of the low end products just fill in the blemishes and the car looks great for a few days then looks dull again. Using a good quality paint cleanser to get the surface "back to paint or clearcoat" and then applying a high quality carnauba wax will mean longer lasting shine and less continuous effort. While the product is expensive to start off with the kit will keep the car in good shape for over a year just by adding more wheel cleaner and shampoo.

See my post in the for sale section for offers to S2K members

Regards
Old 07-17-2004, 03:07 AM

I agree with you polisher however we have some members here who would rather do a quick wax job every month or so rather than go through two or more steps. You also mention using a paint cleanser and refer to GEPC which is a nice product but for the ultimate shine you would agree that one needs to also apply a good glaze after GEPC and then top it with a quality wax.
Old 07-17-2004, 11:09 AM

This may well be the preference for some. however I have not noticed any significant improvement between using a glaze between paint cleansing and waxing after above just using GEPC and a wax if the car is properly buffed at the cleansing stage.
A glaze typically fills in the minor defects rather than removing them. The idea is to "fill in" the defects so that light can not reflect from them. Eventually howver the glaze dries out and the defects reappear. Compounding and polishing is directed at removing the defects first. It really depends on the type of finish you have to start with and what equipment you have at your disposal. It is, as you say, personal preference as to what methods you take. I know some people who still use a wax even after applying Zaino polish! Others just use a wax alone and are happy with the reults.
I recently attended a show where we were given a "strawberry coloured" E30 M3 to polish that hadn't been touched for 4 years. It was done by hand with cleanser and wax. Later in the show the guys on the Meguiars stand came across and asked if they could "have a go" on a small area to compare. Up for it I said yes. They used goodness knows how many different potions, lotions clay bars and glazes but in the end made no significant difference to that on the next panel treated with two applications of paint cleanser and some wax!
Obviously you can achieve a better result with a professional polisher than by hand but not everyone has the skill to use these tools so the options then are always going to be a compromise. I know a professional Detailer who showed me a picture of a door panel ona Porsche he had done. He had spent 30 hours on it... and yes it was like looking in a mirror! but that is not within reach or required by most car owners

There are ultimately a variety of products and methods which will achieve the owners desired result. It is a very subjective subject. As long as the owner is happy with their product and method then this is OK whether it costs