UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Please validate my sanity

Old 08-27-2009, 02:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please validate my sanity

So, theres a discussion about driving the S in Talk, and I am reading some rather curious info.

Nothing against the Americans but they are generally far less exposed to manual gearboxes than us UK types, at least on the whole.

Anyway, the thread sparked a point about moving down through the gears, but with the clutch depressed for each change. Now as far as I am concerned this achieves nothing, you are only gear selecting - no syncromesh action etc.

The thread is here and this is my last reply which I am pretty sure is valid information. I am by no means an expert but I like to at least know my theory and I have never had anyone contest what I believe to be true.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=S...5#entry16983831

Am I going insane?
Old 08-27-2009, 02:57 AM

No need to engine brake,
Brakes for slow - gears for go.

I always skip gears.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:59 AM

Exactly, engine braking makes my stomach turn.

However I am baffled how some people think engaging clutch while in 6th and rattling off 5th, 4th and 3rd before re-engaging the clutch does...anything.

It has me questioning my theory!
Old 08-27-2009, 03:01 AM

I'm no expert (thats how I start all my responses LOL) but i think you could be slightly wrong.

With the clutch depressed, when you change gear I think when that gear is selected the output shaft syncs with the gear and in turn the input shaft ready to engage with the clutch.

So for example if you were travelling at 70 mph and depressed the clutch and selected 1st gear you would be putting some stress on the syncro as the input shaft would speed up to some silly RPM. - the RPM that would be required to travel at 70mph in first if you get what I mean.
If you did this you could probably hear the input shaft turning (whining).

So to extend the theory, going down through the gear with the clutch depressed, rather than block shifting is kinder to the gears, but by the same token you are involving more components than you need to.

I do a mixture of both.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:01 AM

Does nothing. At least in the cars I have been driving the alst 20 years.
Just don't try to throw it in reverse.

I'm now waiting to be corrected
Old 08-27-2009, 03:06 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sinchase in under the hood thread
There is not a syncromesh for each gear, it is just one syncromesh, right? It's an 'interface' between the Input Shaft and Clutch Disk.
Wrong.

Each gear cluster has its own synchromesh and the syncro rings work irrespective of whether the clutch is in or out.

Basically the syncro ring is a clutch face that speeds up or slows down the gearset to match the speed of the output gear it is about to mesh with.

If you change from 4th to 2nd you use the 2nd gear synchro ring to match the relative gear speeds. If you go via 3rd then you spread the wear between 2nd and 3rd gear syncro rings. Ie you change from 4th to 3rd and the 3rd gear syncro ring slows down the gear set to match speeds and then when you change down to 2nd the 2nd gear syncro ring slows the gear set down even further to match speeds.

Blipping the throttle is of no benefit to the syncro rings unless you double declutch. What blipping the throttle does is match engine speed to wheel speed so that when you release the clutch you're not using the clutch to accelerate the engine up to match transmission speed (ie engine braking) which can cause the rear wheels to loose traction, particularly in the wet.

Skipping gears on change down isn't a problem as long as you don't do that every single time you change down.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always engine brake and rev match, also skip gears
That's part of the reason I'm still on a stock clutch with 12k miles of supercharging.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:10 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting.

I'm confused which is the best method for wear and tear?

I tend to (if i know im coming to a stop in a minute), be in 5th slow right down to 3rd then 2nd then 1st and stop. I do engine brake slightly.

I know my GF is learning to drive she tend's to coast when changing down the gears, as opposed to me who doesnt.

I tend to change down gears at quite low rev's.

My father does seems to blip the throttle resulting in a smoother down change.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:13 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Best method for wear and tear is to wait until you come to a complete stop before changing down. Then no wear or tear on gearbox or clutch as no moving friction faces are sliding over each other.

I always work down through the gears because it means i'm always in the right gear for the speed i'm doing.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lower,Aug 27 2009, 12:13 PM
Best method for wear and tear is to wait until you come to a complete stop before changing down. Then no wear or tear on gearbox or clutch as no moving friction faces are sliding over each other. .
Working your way through the gears?, say slowing down from 50mph?

Quick Reply: Please validate my sanity