UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.
View Poll Results: Please help for a replacement for the S!
Civic Type R
11.11%
Mazda RX8
22.22%
BMW Z4 3.0
6.35%
Nissan 350Z
30.16%
Other
15.87%
Mini
0%
VX 220 Turbo
14.29%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Please help for a replacement for the S!

Old 01-13-2004, 02:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picked the RX8 too - saw one on my travels recently, sound and look good, esp in cobolt grey or red! Had good reviews to date. Opening all 4 doors in a cramped car parking space may cause a few problems or giggles.
Also surprised you missed the Crossfire (and Jag XK8) off that list.
Second choice would probably be the Z car, although it's styling does nothign for me but good performance....
Old 01-13-2004, 02:48 AM

Originally posted by shivani
Also surprised you missed the Crossfire off that list.
I'm not - it's awful

Just about every review I've seen of it says that it drives as bad as it looks.
Old 01-13-2004, 03:06 AM

Ok, getting the following cars today for a test drive to refresh my memory

Boxster S
Mini Cooper S
Z4 3.0 Manual
350Z GT

Tomorrow
Maserati 3200 (second-hand)
911 Turbo

will post my final thoughts on this. VX220, CTR and RX8 are out of the running now.

VX220 not practical enough
CTR front wheel drive and having driven it didn't like it too much myself and looks like a MPV.
RX8 too common and unknown reliability and residuals.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:12 AM
Banned

Originally posted by rahula
Ok, getting the following cars today for a test drive to refresh my memory

Boxster S
Mini Cooper S
Z4 3.0 Manual
350Z GT

Tomorrow
Maserati 3200 (second-hand)
911 Turbo

will post my final thoughts on this. VX220, CTR and RX8 are out of the running now.

VX220 not practical enough
CTR front wheel drive and having driven it didn't like it too much myself and looks like a MPV.
RX8 too common and unknown reliability and residuals.
I'd go for the Boxster S out of that bunch, the 911 Turbo will be an old car for that sort of money and the Masser is fast but pricey to run. You
Old 01-13-2004, 08:43 AM

Right, thanks everyone for your input and I do appreciate it a lot. I am taking on board what you say although it might not seem like it all the time from my posts.

I drove the cars I posted in my last comments and here is the verdict so far:

350Z: Nice car, powerful (no more than the S), lots of torque and good chassis. Suspension a bit indecisive and feels bumpy on the motorway. The interior plastics are rubbish and of the two cars in the showroom and never before driven the cup holders and both the central console flaps were broken. Quality is not great. The speed is slight small and hard to read but I was driving into the sun. I will not be buying the car because ultimately I came away impressed but unexcited.

Boxster S: Again a very good car just like I remember it from last year. A bit too refined for me too as Subaru has mentioned but a good car and finally the interior button look better and no more shiny plasticky buttons. Engine revs easily and quickly and the sound is good but not as good as vtec. A good possibility.

Mini Cooper S: Wow! I was amazed how much I liked this little car but I had zero expectation of this car. Lithe and nimble I loved every minute of this road test. The car stays in the revs easily and eggs you to go faster. Handling is top notch but the lack of oomph in the straights is a little bit of a let down. The seats behind me are not really useful except for shopping bags. I think value for money this car comes close to beating the CTR of the top mantle. I am tempted but would like a bit more power to consider it seriously.

Z4: Again I don't know where to start. I had no expectations of it and wanted it to be a bad car just like the Z3. It is very well built, the engine is a peach, the exhaust makes a lovely sound especially on gear change a warbling kinda sound, the stereo is good, SatNav is an option and side airbags are included. The looks of the car are much better in person and I like the view from the side view mirrors. Handling was excellent and overall I am very impressed. Specced to my needs it comes to
Old 01-13-2004, 08:48 AM

wind deflector (a bit of a cheek to charge separately for this as it is a convertible).
Honda charged around
Old 01-13-2004, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by Bigtone
Not a single recognised quality performance car in the world has just FWD.
A bit of a generalisation is it not!!!

what about VW Corrado VR6? Civic Type R?

seem fairly good quality to me.....

MJI
Old 01-13-2004, 11:33 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I can think of many a shit RWD car!

If you are weakening on used, you have omitted the NSX from your test drive list.

PS- why doesn't somebody offer a bodykit of new panels so one could disguise the Z4 as something nice? BMW own the Triumph brand FFS!
Old 01-13-2004, 11:44 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't go for anything on the original list. If pushed I'd say VXT or Mini with Hartge conversion.

As for Boxster or Z4 - absolutely no way. Image is outside of you, as Sub2000 says, but unfortunately it affects you. This could be through general hassle on the roads right up to malicious damage. I have to say the two cars I seen vandalised more than any others have been BMWs and Porsches.

It's a personal choice. Probably helped that you obviously don't have specific requirements such as convertible or four seats.

Good luck with your car whichever way you go.

Old 01-13-2004, 11:54 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Still no decision until tomorrow so help me decide between the Boxster and Z4 please!
Difficult one this.

Buy the Boxster and people automatically think that you are a ......

Buy the Z4 and people automatically think that you are a

Quick Reply: Please help for a replacement for the S!