UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.
View Poll Results: Please help for a replacement for the S!
Civic Type R
11.11%
Mazda RX8
22.22%
BMW Z4 3.0
6.35%
Nissan 350Z
30.16%
Other
15.87%
Mini
0%
VX 220 Turbo
14.29%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Please help for a replacement for the S!

Old 01-12-2004, 03:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends what you want the car for really, you have got such a varied choice!

I would rule out the mini straightaway. I have driven a std Cooper S and its way too underpowered. Even with a works pack I think the CTR would be more fun.

If practicality is not a concern the car of choice has to be the VXT. Its an awesome car, and one I would seriously consider if I didn't need boot space. They are sooo quick.

The 350Z is a fast RWD TT in my opinion. I like them, but think it might feel a little heavy and much more of a cruiser. The RX8 is a good choice if you want something a little cheaper to run and a hardtop, but I think most S2000 drivers would feel let down by the engine.

The Z4 3.0 is a very quick car, but damn ugly.

Can't think of anymore cars either? Used M3?
Old 01-12-2004, 04:06 AM

I bought another S after writing off my first one (after 18 months ownership). Never looked back - still nothing comes close to it IMHO. I'd probably even have another (no pleans to write this one off though )

At a push, I'd vote 350z or 3.0 Z4 and take a test drive to decide.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:13 AM

Depends on your abilities and style of driving.
Front drive cars to me are useless if you want proper performance as you spend all your time wrestling with torque steer and understeer if you have anything around 200bhp upwards. FWD is for routine motoring and for Kevins to tear about in, in their case because they are cheap.
Not a single recognised quality performance car in the world has just FWD.
The RX8 would probably be the choice from what you listed. It's well equipped, powerful and knowing Mazda a bit (I bought my 1st wife an RX7 Cabriolet turbo in 1992) it will certainly be a proper sports car. Price is good. Z4 3.0 I suppose would be alright but I said a few years ago I would never buy another BMW, simply because they are over-rated and over-priced, and grossly arrogant if you have a problem.
VX as Mark Turner said, is no doubt exciting but would not have practicality if you have to use it for other purposes than sheer fun.
The Datsun is no doubt very technical but is unlikely to be as much fun as the RX8 and at a higher price.
Stay with the Honda.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:41 AM

Cars discounted so far are the VX220. Not practical enough.

Thanks for all the comments so far please keep them coming.

PSlease don't forget to vote at the top too after your post. Thanks again.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:46 AM

Much as it pains me to say it, I would go for a well specc'd Z4.

I sat in one last weekend and was most impressed.

Likely that residuals and reliability will be better than the S also - although any Z4 meets you go to will be full of merchant bankers.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:48 AM

Do not believe that Beemer's engine reliability is as good as Honda's. When I first got the S I took a friend out in Warwick and we met a genuine bonafide BMW engine engineer and he said that BMW had been set the target 3 years ago to make their engines as reliable as Honda's.

They had failed and the target had been set again.

Honda 1 BMW 0
Old 01-12-2004, 04:49 AM

You missed the Chrysler Crossfire off the list. How could you?
How can you not like a car that looks like a dog squeezing one out?

I'd love the VX but know that it's impracticality would piss me off. So I'd go for the 350Z but would miss the toplessness.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:00 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kelk
Do not believe that Beemer's engine reliability is as good as Honda's.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:09 AM

When I sell my S in the summer I plan to step into the world of twin turbos and get an R33-GTR or if funds permit and R34-GTR.

If it had to be from the list above I love the Mini Cooper S and would have one of them. Failing that a VX220 Turbo would be the next choice.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:13 AM
GSi

Mitsu Lancer Evo?
Subaru WRX Sti?

If you hadn't have mentioned practicality, I'd have gone for the VX220T, but you did so..

If I was spending all the money I'd consider one of the two above - although it depends on your budget for maintenance (4.5k servicing...) from your list I'd have the CTR. I get great service from my local Honda dealer and I just don't fancy the rest.

Although I wouldn't want one anyway, I think that if you are considering the Z4, you should be considering another S... I'd rather stick with the S until I need 4 seats, then get a rally rep.

Quick Reply: Please help for a replacement for the S!