UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Pioneer DEH-X8500DAB Head Unit

Old 08-02-2013, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pioneer DEH-X8500DAB Head Unit

I just bought the Pioneer DEH-X8500DAB head unit this week from Halfords (1/2 price at £169 with a free DAB interior aerial). I've installed the unit and got the autoleads PC9-X61 multistalk steering wheel adapter (and the extra patch lead) to link the audio controls to the steering wheel buttons.

I'm currently trying to work out how to get the mute button to work. There is a brown lead with bullet connector coming from the relay module of the PC9-X61 connector but I can't work out where it is supposed to connect to the head unit.

Does anyone know where/how this connects please?
Old 08-02-2013, 04:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On my Alpine there is a 3.5mm stereo jack slot at the back of the unit, into which the stalk adapter fits in (that has a 3.5mm jack) for the mute function

maybe one of these threads will be more help

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/823...rol-dont-work/

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/804859-stereo-advice/
Old 08-02-2013, 09:43 PM

The mute button on mine doesn't work. Pioneer head unit and autoleads adapter. Can't say i miss it.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:25 PM

I use an Autoleads adapter as well on my Sony and the mute lead has no where to connect to, you hear the relay clicking if you press it.

I've gotten use to putting it in attention mode by holding down the source button.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:45 PM

Or just turn the volume down...
Old 08-02-2013, 11:50 PM

I have a pioneer head unit and autoleads adaptor and my mute button works as normal. I presume there are some separate wires going on with your ones?
Old 08-03-2013, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by BlackFerret
I have a pioneer head unit and autoleads adaptor and my mute button works as normal. I presume there are some separate wires going on with your ones?

Yes, the autoleads adapter and module has a bullet connector (brown wire) for mute control but there is nothing to connect it to on the head unit. I could do to know what the Pioneer connector block wiring diagram is but cant find anything anywhere that give me the pin outs of that connector [the main wiring connector in the back of the Pioneer head unit].

If Modifry can put a cable together that does it, there must be a connector in that wiring block that I can hotwire the mute lead to. I just don't know which one.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:03 AM

Hi
I have the non-DAB version of this stereo in my S2000 with the same Autoleads adapter. After doing some research I came to the conclusion these units do not have a mute function. There is no wire for it on the harness. All my previous Pioneer stereo's had this wire.
The mute function is normally there so you can mute the stereo when taking a phone call. As these units have inbuilt Bluetooth they auto-mute the music when a phone call comes through therefor neglecting the need for a mute button. (this may not be the correct reason but justifies it for me)

The optional remote does not have the Mute or ATT button either.

On another note I have found when you press the CH button on the dash it goes back an album NOT forward an album when playing MP3's. Seems an odd way of doing it.

Also the stereo cover door presses the main multi control button every time you close it. Bit annoying but I am used to it.

Anthony
Old 08-07-2013, 04:41 AM

Interesting. I haven't put the door unit back on yet so wasn't aware that it might interfere with the main power/volume button.

I'm still deciding what to do about cables and whether to upgrade to a Modifry adapter set instead.

One thing I have found out is that if you 'keep' your finger on the 'source' button (Thank you PhilipGB!) it mutes the sound [well, it attenuates it so you can hardly hear it]. That might just about prove satisfactory to me. My problem is that when listening to music that contains expletives, I have to mute the sound when a swear word comes up, so that my 8 yr old or 5 yr old don't hear it [They love Green Day] and I'm not sure that using the source button will mute it quick enough.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by cerberus264
My problem is that when listening to music that contains expletives, I have to mute the sound when a swear word comes up, so that my 8 yr old or 5 yr old don't hear it [They love Green Day] and I'm not sure that using the source button will mute it quick enough.
Just clutch in and rev.

Quick Reply: Pioneer DEH-X8500DAB Head Unit