UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Picked up first S2000 today, potential problem...?

Old 03-29-2007, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked up first S2000 today, potential problem...?

Just collected my first S2000 today after getting rid of a boring leon cupra. So far so good, very impressed with it, except one niggly thing.... I'm having a right hard time finding fifth. The gearstick seems to move all the way to the right (over to where reverse is, passed where fifth/sixth is) without needing to push the stick down. Is this supposed to be like that? Handbook says you've got to push down to get it all the way over but mine doesn't, which means I'm finding it a bit of a lottery to line it up with where fifth is. Anyone else have this experience before I go and pull the darned thing to bits?

Also how critical is tyre choice? It's got Potenza SO1's on the front, and the dealer had replaced a set of worn Potenzes on the rear with some cheapo brand ones. Am I likely to end up backwards through a hedge with this combination?
Old 03-29-2007, 08:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 5th gear is also a little like that! You'll get used to it! If you take the stick all the way over to the right and press up it doesn't go, you have to let it come back around 10mm to the left and then you are able to select 5th gear.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:34 AM

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Carwyn,Mar 29 2007, 04:22 PM
the dealer had replaced a set of worn Potenzes on the rear with some cheapo brand ones.
kill the dealer before their tyre choice takes you off-road...

Originally Posted by Carwyn,Mar 29 2007, 04:22 PM
Am I likely to end up backwards through a hedge with this combination?
yes.

BTW - shifting to 5th should be clunky but solid (but not require any sort of force!).

take it back asap and get them to fit 'proper' tyres and sort the 'box...
Old 03-29-2007, 08:34 AM

I've got an 03 and my gearbox is not like that. Push all the way right and then push up, 5th gear voila!
Old 03-29-2007, 08:39 AM

I didn't have any problems like that on my 03 or my current 06.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:40 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

so are you saying that you could accidentily hit reverse whilst on the move (obviously it wouldn't go in but would make a nasty noise)?

Get the tyres changed asap. i had 225 section Bridgestone s03's on the rear of my MY00 when i collected it and it was very twitchy. I changed them to the correct s02's and the handling improved dramatically.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:44 AM

The gearbox is the best in the world so its not possible anything
can be wrong with it.

Russ.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by lower,Mar 29 2007, 04:40 PM
so are you saying that you could accidentily hit reverse whilst on the move (obviously it wouldn't go in but would make a nasty noise)?

Get the tyres changed asap. i had 225 section Bridgestone s03's on the rear of my MY00 when i collected it and it was very twitchy. I changed them to the correct s02's and the handling improved dramatically.
with anything but the SO2's your pushing your luck and with a mis match frount and back - well put it this way its a frightening thought!
Old 03-29-2007, 08:57 AM

Fifth to sixth is fine, just straight down, although I could 'crunch' reverse if I was daft enough to push it to the right when changing as it doesn't need to be pushed down to go to reverse.

As for the tyres, I'm all to aware of joys of crap rear tyres as I once had a mk2 golf gti with good tyres on front and crap ones on rear. Lift off oversteer like you wouldn't believe in the wet! Shall look into changing them. I take it SO2's are the recommended choice? Although might keep the cheap ones for when some 'hooning' around is called for!
Old 03-29-2007, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Carwyn,Mar 29 2007, 04:57 PM
Fifth to sixth is fine, just straight down, although I could 'crunch' reverse if I was daft enough to push it to the right when changing as it doesn't need to be pushed down to go to reverse.

As for the tyres, I'm all to aware of joys of crap rear tyres as I once had a mk2 golf gti with good tyres on front and crap ones on rear. Lift off oversteer like you wouldn't believe in the wet! Shall look into changing them. I take it SO2's are the recommended choice? Although might keep the cheap ones for when some 'hooning' around is called for!
Make sure you get the SO2's with the S2000 fitment not the porch fitment as they are totally different, see faq's for product codes

Quick Reply: Picked up first S2000 today, potential problem...?